Join now - be part of our community!

100's of contacts I don't know

SOLVED
Albo_underhill
Visitor

100's of contacts I don't know

So somewhere along the line I have picked up 100's of contacts I don't know.
I've checked online and in the forum and force stopping, deleting data and clearing cache, unlinking accounts won't work.
I also can not simply delete them. Any help would be great. Its not a massive inconvenience but a wee bit annoying
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Albo_underhill
Visitor

@alexdon, thanks for your time. I've managed to find a filter setting that only shows the contacts I have added ( after a few resets I got them to save at last). After doing some Google work it seems that they have come from any junk mail that I've received over the years that have numbers attached to them. I don't know why it happened (maybe to do with the system update I did a week or so ago?) but thanks to everyone that took time to try and help.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.RO.title
_alexdon_
Expert

@Albo_underhill Settings - apps, tap on 3 dots, scroll down to contacts storage. There, you can find the storage tab, tap on it and clear data. This will erase your locally stored contacts.

alexdon
Albo_underhill
Visitor

@alexdon ... Well thanks I guess. If deleted all of my contacts but I suppose it also did as I asked
profile.country.RO.title
_alexdon_
Expert

Did you have a backup of your contacts or somewhere to sync them back?

alexdon
CameronT
Champion

Hi @Albo_underhill,

Welcome to the community.

I am sorry to see that you lost all your contacts. Did you happen to have a Google account set up in your phone?

If so, go to Settings > Accounts > Google > Your gmail address > 3 dots > Sync Now. This should retrieve any contacts that were synced with your gmail account, which would have been turned on by default. I hope this helps.

Albo_underhill
Visitor

@cameronT & alexdon, thanks for replying guys but this is where I currently stand.
After following the first comment all my contacts were gone but I had messages on my phone and whatsapp from anyone I might need to contact anyway.... BUT.... I couldn't save the contacts to my address book.
So I synced with my Google again to get my back up but all I got was the 100+ contacts I tried to get rid of in the beginning.
I feel like I'm missing something really obvious but I'm currently in bed ill for the last few days and my brain just isn't what it sound be
profile.country.RO.title
_alexdon_
Expert

@Albo_underhill I am sorry to hear this, hope all the best.

When I said locally stored contacts, I forgot to mention you should also back up what you have because I thought you realized that's what should be done.

Can you check if there are other filters to set in contacts app?

alexdon
Albo_underhill
Visitor

@alexdon, thanks for your time. I've managed to find a filter setting that only shows the contacts I have added ( after a few resets I got them to save at last). After doing some Google work it seems that they have come from any junk mail that I've received over the years that have numbers attached to them. I don't know why it happened (maybe to do with the system update I did a week or so ago?) but thanks to everyone that took time to try and help.
profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

Hi,

If you want to manage your contacts easily then use your computer and open contacts.google.com