Join now - be part of our community!

Blurry front camera Xperia 1 mark 2

profile.country.GB.title
emanuele93
Explorer

Blurry front camera Xperia 1 mark 2

Hey!

I got the phone today as it just got released and was really looking forward trying the cameras. The main cameras are working well but the front one is extremely blurry and feels like it's smoothing my face  and everything else extremely to the point that it looks like something greasy is on the lens. Video calls are a horrible experience at the moment and I'm really hoping someone can help me resolve this. I went through all the options of the camera and tried them but none seemed to make a difference with this.

If someone could give me any advice that would be amazing.

Kindest regards,

Emanuele

14 REPLIES 14
profile.country.GB.title
Ersan_T

I'm experiencing the exact same issue with my Xperia 1 II, the front camera is quite frankly awful, it does look like the soft skin effect is turned on.  I hope this is a software issue and gets resolved ASAP!

profile.country.ID.title
Mason84
New

Hi I just got the phone today and like you guy I really dislike the filter-like quality of the front facing camera and I have no idea why but during video calls such as WhatsApp or Facebook messenger video call it's really poor quality to the point there's no details whatsoever. Quite disappointed really, hope it gets fixed real soon or its going back, expect much more from a flagship phone

profile.country.GB.title
joschi21
Explorer

I got the exact same problem with the front facing camera but also the same problems with the rear cameras to. 

profile.country.GB.title
ryan__

Same here, the camera app has a setting for skin smoothing in the front facing camera but it looks like it is still active evenw you turn it off

profile.country.GB.title
Gilgameshuk
Contributor

You know folks

Though I have only got the original xperia 1 MARK 1  I remember a similar issue on my phone -until the first major update resolved it.

Checked front camera settings and unchecked 'soft skin effect' id not seem to do much.

It is also worth noting that ,that front camera is a Samsung sensor.

Gilgamesh the first ONE and ONLY King
profile.country.GB.title
ryan__

It is due to a lower quality camera sensor on the front compared to the main camera on the back. Software alone will not compensate for this.

profile.country.IT.title
nimurgi86
New

Same here, but with Xperia 5 ii, as it was for my previous Xperia 5.

Do you think is possible to fix this issue?

profile.country.GB.title
ryan__

You can try installing another camera app to see a comparison to the one pre-installed, but when I tried this the image quality is still poor. After looking into this I found out that there is a low quality sensor on for the front facing camera and a high quality sensor for the main camera on the back, which is why selfies look bad. Let's hope Sony uses better camera sensors for the front facing camera in future versions.

GreXperia
Explorer

I just got my Xperia 5 ii today as a replacement to my Google Pixel 3. I can confirm that the outgoing video quality on WhatsApp video call is horrible! I still don't have the November software update , but I really hope Sony or WhatsApp can fix this. Video calls are just horrible now and this is not expected from a costly phone like this!