Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia keyboard not compatible with Android 7?

Hitech_redneck
Visitor

Xperia keyboard not compatible with Android 7?

Recently replaced my Z3 Compact with a new XA1. I was upset to see that the excellent Xperia keyboard is not compatible with the XA1, which leads me to believe it's not updated to Nougat. Anyone from SONY know if the Xperia keyboard is scheduled to be updated for use with 7.0?  Honestly, I find it far superior to the Swiftkey keyboard that is included with the XA1. 

8 REPLIES 8
Jonas
Master

Hi @Hitech_redneck, welcome to our forum and congratulations on your new Xperia XA1!

Xperia keyboard is compatible with Android 7.0 for those devices that have it preinstalled and received an update for Android 7.0, for example the Z5-series.

The Xperia Keyboard is not available for devices from the X series. Instead, SwiftKey Keyboard is preloaded.

I fully understand that going from using one keyboard and starting to use another keyboard is going to take a while. In your case I'd recommend that you have a look in the Google Play store for other keyboards that may suit you better than the Swiftkey keyboard, there are plenty of different ones!

I hope that answers your question!

profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

Apkmirror is your friend....

profile.country.RO.title
_alexdon_
Expert

@Hitech_redneck You can always sideload xperia keyboard:

http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/sony-mobile-communications/xperia-keyboard/

I don't think backup and sync for words is available, but that's just a small inconvenience.

alexdon
Hitech_redneck
Visitor

Jonas, 

I guess my point is, can you please pass on to management or whoever handles feedback, that you have at least one customer / user here who is upset that the Xperia keyboard is not compatible with the X series.  Seriously; how hard would it be to make it compatible? It makes no sense, other than what is likely a marketing agreement (read = kickbacks) with Swift Key...  Anyhow, thanks.

Hitech_redneck
Visitor

Alexdon,

Yeah, I downloaded the apk for version 8.0.A.0.110, and installed it, however could not get it to work.  I followed all the usual steps to enable it as a keyboard/input app, and so forth... all that happened when I clicked in a text field is Google voice search came up - no Xperia keyboard.  Slightly_frowning_Face     I would like to figure it out, if ya have any suggestions.  Thx

Jonas
Master

Hi again @Hitech_redneck,

I will gladly forward your feedback regarding that the Xperia Keyboard is no longer preinstalled in the Xperia X-series.

Have you been able to get Xperia keyboard to work in your device or do still only get the Google voice search when for example, trying to write a text message? If you still are experiencing this behaviour.

Go to Settings > Languages & input > Virtual keyboard. Tap Manage keyboards, then tap the slider to enable or disable the keyboard.

Keep us posted!

Hitech_redneck
Visitor

I was finally able to get the apk installed and working fine. I may have had a bad file or something the first time.  Thanks.

Jonas
Master

You're welcome and I'm glad to hear that it's working now! Slightly_smiling_Face

Let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with and have a great weekend!