Join now - be part of our community!

Anybody else lost OK Google with the last update? XZ1 on EE (UK)

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
RobinTBW
Explorer

Anybody else lost OK Google with the last update? XZ1 on EE (UK)

Hi All

I have an XZ1 on EE running android 9.

OK Google stopped working after a recent update.

It now gets stuck in the voice training screen - I keep saying OK Google, but cannot get out of that screen.

If I cancel out of it, the functionality is switched off.

I have been able to fix it by uninstalling Google updates.

Anyone else had a similar problem?

Are Sony aware of the issue?

Cheers

Robin

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
RobinTBW
Explorer

Just to let everyone know, I tried the cache-clearing and other such options without success.

The Google App was updated about June 6th, and that update did not resolve the issue.

However, a Google update around June 11th does seem to have fixed it - I am now able to get past the "OK Google" voice training screen and use the functionality.

Thanks for all the responses.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

Goto settings to check if all settings are ok

In settings find assistent. (Type Google and you'll find it)

In the assistent tap the tab assistent.

Scroll down and find assistent devices, phone.

Tap on phone and adjust your settings.

Hope that helps for you.

profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

Sounds like it was a Google issue, if you removing Google's recent update fixed it.

Thus it's nothing to do with Sony, IMO.

I would as you have done, removed the updates, and maybe clear the cache/data as well, reboot and update again.

profile.country.PH.title
MarlonUk1
Expert

i've just replicated this on my xz1.. and sure enough the ok google voice is not working, 😞

profile.country.GB.title
RobinTBW
Explorer

I appreciate your point - I'm just trying to see if anyone else has had the issue on a Sony Xperia, which might point to a compatibility problem.

The issue first surfaced after an Android update, but subsequent tests have shown that updating Google causes it and removing Google updates fixes it.

I've tried that a few times.

I have also asked the same question in the EE community, and so far nobody else has reported a similar problem.

Thanks for the feedback.

profile.country.GB.title
RobinTBW
Explorer

Hi nolramlb

profile.country.PH.title
MarlonUk1
Expert

no im on Three

profile.country.GB.title
Yanski1
Explorer

Hi Robin, same here xz1 compact EE, OK google stopped about 4 weeks ago, can anyone help please.

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

OK Google does not respond, OK?

It does respond in many other devices, so a Google software problem is unlikely.

I cannot imagine that it is provider dependent as well.

What I did notice personally is that my OK Google disappeared as well some 4(?), maybe more weeks ago.

It might have been after a software update, I don't know.

What I do know is that once I took the time to take a look at settings as I explained earlier in this thread then OK Google was restored.

One other thing that I remember from the old forum when there were problems updating or something.

Anyway, unimportant but you might take a shot.

Find the PlayStore tyle on your phone.

Tap and hold. A small window appears. Tap on the 'i' sign.

You're in the app settings.

Tap Storage and Cache and then clear cache, restart and you-never-know-maybe OK Google will function.

Wild guess, worth the try, doesn't harm anything.

profile.country.PH.title
MarlonUk1
Expert

yeah, by the looks of it , it could be a google issue. however I would just like to ask if any of you or your friends have other android devices that could confirm if that's the case with every old android devices...