Join now - be part of our community!

Fingerprint lock doesn't work!

AnP155
Visitor

Fingerprint lock doesn't work!

Fingerprint scanner works, meaning I could set it up as usual. But unlocking the device using the same doesn't seem to be working 3/5 times, specially when there are many notifications. The lock screen goes to swipe to unlock and the PIN entry screen shows up. No matter how clean my fingers or the scanner is, unlock doesn't happen. It's become pretty obvious as a bug that needs immediate attention. I did a complete reset on the fingerprint manager, still no use.
17 REPLIES 17
Sunking1011
Contributor

My fingerprint sensor works ok. Have you recorded several different fingers? You can also record the same finger multiple times just to make sure. Your sensor may be faulty.
CrisLange
Visitor

The fingerprint sensor on my XZ works wonderfully. Were you having such problems with it from the time you started using or did the problem escalate with the passing days? If it was inaccurate since new, it's probably a faulty sensor.

AnP155
Visitor

Yes, I have recorded close to 4 different fingers. Like I mentioned, it's not that the sensor isn't reading my fingerprint. First couple of days, everytime I tired to unlock & pressed power button, the lock screen used to be on FP unlock. Now 3/5 times it's going good to PIN unlock which is secondary lock mechanism. I don't think it is a faulty sensor as much as it looks like a software bug.
Elang
Visitor

Am confused with the functionality of fingerprint sensor for below reasons
- My understanding is this, when i soft touch the sensor with my finger which is been recorded to read my touch, I expect it unlock and get me to home screen. But instead I have to make a press, which takes me to finger sense screen and now if I make soft touch, it takes me to home and the secondary is inputing PIN.
- I requested my friend to unlock my phone, and to my surprise it didn't take him to finger sensor screen or to the PIN input screen, rather it took him directly to home screen.

So am really confused with its functionality, can someone help me to clarify.

So far below are the issues that I faced
-phone heats up, while charging, while just watching video on YouTube for just few minutes.
-battery drains fast.
-finger sensor doesn't seems to solve the purpose. It makes me to question, what's the point having fingerprint sensor.

Help me clarify

AnP155
Visitor

@Elang yes, even I surprised that one has to press the power button to wake the phone and then the FP scanner reads your fingerprint followed by taking you to the Home screen! A soft touch should have been doing all of this to ease out the process. Although none this matters if the phone keeps going into PIN or any other secondary unlock system every single time. There's absolutely no role played by the FP scanner. It's as good as being disabled like in the US variant.

Can someone from Sony please respond?!! This is a serious issue which needs attention.
Elang
Visitor

Thanks friend for responding quickly. Yeah, u r right
Christofer
Champion

Hi,

@AnP155 I'm sorry to hear this. If you can create a bug report and send it to me I can forward it internally for investigation.

To do this:

1. Go to Settings > About phone > Build number, tap 7 times on the build number.
  2. Go back and select Developer options then turn on "USB debugging".
  3. Select Logger buffer size and change it to "4 M"
  4. Restart your phone, then replicate this
  5. Go back to Settings > Developer options, select "Take bug report".

When the report is ready you will receive a notification. Tap the notification to share it. I suggest you upload it to Google Drive and then choose to share a public link to the upload and include the link in the PM.

@Elang You should only have to press the power key once, in order to wake the device. After you have pressed the power button to wake up your device simply keep resting your finger on the key without pressing it again and the device should unlock. If you press too hard, your fingerprint may be distorted.

Sunking1011
Contributor

My fingerprint scanner works fine, I press the button once and I'm taken to the home screen.
AnP155
Visitor

@Christofer, I shall do as suggested and share the bug report asap. But please help me understand as to why it is necessary to press the power button at all to wake the device. The common usage of an FP sensor is to scan and directly lead to the Home page. I really think Sony should consider the possibility of implementing this.