Join now - be part of our community!

IP68. A standard cannot be redefined. The XZP is waterproof - otherwise Sony simply lied.

IlluX
Visitor

IP68. A standard cannot be redefined. The XZP is waterproof - otherwise Sony simply lied.

Hey there,

I just received message from Sony Germany stating that the XZP must not be full submerged in water.

I'm curious - did Sony developers ever read the ISO standard on ingress protection? The phone is IP68 certified, that means and let me quote: 

"IP68 - Protected from long term immersion up to a specified pressure." That specified pressure is commonly 5 feet, 1.5 meters or 0,15 bar.

Now, as Sony claims their smartphones are IP68 certified that means we can all spend our days submerging our phones in water without being scared of any damages - am I right, dear Sony staff?

If not, that would mean you either didn't test your deviced or you lied on purpose. Both make excellent reasons for lawsuites or should AT LEAST make you consider to refund all devices sold so far. 

Once again, a standard is a standard because it defines a standard. You cannot redefine a standard on your own.

To underline my arguments, let me quote your webpage (yes, the Sony webpage)

http://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/dm/waterproof/

"IPX8. Protected against the effects of continued immersion in water at depths greater than 1 metre. The exact conditions are specified for each device by the manufacturer."

So, the XZP is waterproof - right?

45 REPLIES 45
IlluX
Visitor

It also states IP65, that is protection against hose water. So even higher pressure to a certain extend should not be an issue - again, it's certified, isn't it?

profile.country.US.title
Qatrium
Expert

What @Kunicross stated is also an important factor: the pressure generated by movement under water. I don't think that a normal user can control this factor without a good knowledge of some physics. And this is yet another reason why you should not be using your phone under water. 

Anyways, it's clearly stated that water damage is not covered my warranty (not in any other manufacturer too) so the advice note given by Sony actually goes for your own good. 

Actually, I'm now starting to imagine what would the same complaining users do if this warning was not there and clearly stated by Sony. Want to imagine with me? Winking_Face 

SMB92
Visitor

I took my phone for a hot shower earlier to test it out and now half the lcd doesn't work and camera is fogged on inside. 

Just kidding it was fine. But this happened to me with the S5 Samsung once, the rear never completely sealed because the plastic outer frame always bent easily. 

profile.country.PL.title
najodleglejszy
Expert

@SMB92 wrote:

I took my phone for a hot shower earlier to test it out and now half the lcd doesn't work and camera is fogged on inside. 

Just kidding it was fine. But this happened to me with the S5 Samsung once, the rear never completely sealed because the plastic outer frame always bent easily. 

well, the S5 wasn't certified to be steam-resistant... and neither is XZP.

SMB92
Visitor

Steam resistant? Never considered that. 

The S5 in general was extremely how ya going in terms of water proofing. I feel the XZP is not as good as S7 in terms of waterproofing, I don't think I'll swim with this one. 

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@SMB92

You should NOT swim with a phone, chlorinated or sea/salt water will corrode the seals. 

SMB92
Visitor

Lol I wouldn't swim in salt-water or a chlorinated pool but good advice nonetheless. Tried my hand at a few repairs after salt-water endeavours, never got one working again

sonnny
Visitor

SMB92
Visitor

I don't like how the edges of the screen have big gaps, it's filling up with tiny pieces from my pocket already. 

Yet1Bluesky
Visitor

For me it seems like Sony has no quality control. I bought the XZP because I was convinced of Sonys high quality standards. And now? I spent 750€ on a phone I cannot hold in water as it might break, have a camera with distortion issues and overall performance comparable with my Z2, the stereo speakers are almost the same as Z2 ones, not louder, and worst of all, Sony does not care about it. After many Xperia devices, this is my last one.