Join now - be part of our community!

IP68. A standard cannot be redefined. The XZP is waterproof - otherwise Sony simply lied.

IlluX
Visitor

IP68. A standard cannot be redefined. The XZP is waterproof - otherwise Sony simply lied.

Hey there,

I just received message from Sony Germany stating that the XZP must not be full submerged in water.

I'm curious - did Sony developers ever read the ISO standard on ingress protection? The phone is IP68 certified, that means and let me quote: 

"IP68 - Protected from long term immersion up to a specified pressure." That specified pressure is commonly 5 feet, 1.5 meters or 0,15 bar.

Now, as Sony claims their smartphones are IP68 certified that means we can all spend our days submerging our phones in water without being scared of any damages - am I right, dear Sony staff?

If not, that would mean you either didn't test your deviced or you lied on purpose. Both make excellent reasons for lawsuites or should AT LEAST make you consider to refund all devices sold so far. 

Once again, a standard is a standard because it defines a standard. You cannot redefine a standard on your own.

To underline my arguments, let me quote your webpage (yes, the Sony webpage)

http://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/dm/waterproof/

"IPX8. Protected against the effects of continued immersion in water at depths greater than 1 metre. The exact conditions are specified for each device by the manufacturer."

So, the XZP is waterproof - right?

45 REPLIES 45
Thelastofus
Visitor

True.some times i think sony are mading their phone in a garage without any Quality control !

NeoBeum
Enthusiast

@IlluX wrote:

So, the XZP is waterproof - right?

I already reamed Sony's marketing department and wrote a thankyou thread for the X Series launch, because

https://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/products/phones/xperia-xz-premium/

Rain is one less thing to think about when you’re out and about with the Xperia XZ Premium. Water resistant, dust-proof and reinforced with durable Corning® Gorilla® Glass 5, it’s pretty much life-resistant

https://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/products/phones/xperia-z5-compact/#quick-specs

Sony’s waterproof design takes the worry out of wet

A little water shouldn’t be a big deal. Xperia Z5 Compact is built to withstand the splashes that are a part of everyday life. So you can relax about sudden spills or unexpected showers

/t5/Xperia-Z5-Z5-Compact-Z5-Premium/Z5C-Extreme-performance-amp-memory-management-issues/m-p/1141800...

You guys missed out on the giant "Do not use underwater" thread... that was great... ah... memories

i can't be bothered digging for the post... but I recall saying something about torrential hurricane force weather for something about water

/t5/Xperia-Z5-Z5-Compact-Z5-Premium/Do-not-use-under-water/m-p/1034179

Daniell8888
Visitor

My experia xzp was submerged in a about 3 cm water for a second to test the IP68, and now my phone is dead. Can we not all get together through facebook (or anything) to file up a lawsuit against sony, for false advertisement ? I never hated a phone so much until this one.

profile.country.PL.title
najodleglejszy
Expert

@Daniell8888 the disclaimer on the XZ Premium website states:

"Xperia™ XZ Premium is water resistant and protected against dust, so don’t worry if you get caught in the rain or want to wash off dirt under a tap water, but remember all ports and attached covers should be firmly closed. You should not put the device completely underwater; or expose it to seawater, salt water, chlorinated water or liquids such as drinks. Abuse and improper use of device will invalidate warranty. The device has been tested under Ingress Protection rating IP65/68. For more info, see http://support.sonymobile.com/gb/dm/waterresistant/. Note the Xperia XZ Premium has a capless USB port to connect and charge. The USB port needs to be completely dry before charging." (emphasis mine)

https://www.sonymobile.com/gb/products/phones/xperia-xz-premium/design/

admad
Visitor

@najodleglejszy IP68 rating means : "The equipment is suitable for continuous immersion in water under conditions which shall be specified by the manufacturer. However, with certain types of equipment, it can mean that water can enter but only in such a manner that it produces no harmful effects. The test depth and duration is expected to be greater than the requirements for IPx7, and other environmental effects may be added, such as temperature cycling before immersion."

You can't really say the device is IP68 and at the same time state that it cannot be immersed in water.

It's like advertising 50MP camera in phone, but then stating that you cannot set the resolution higher than 10MP or the phone will die. It's absurd. Slightly_smiling_Face

profile.country.PL.title
najodleglejszy
Expert

@admadthe way I understand it, it doesn't forbid you to submerge it if you want. it just lists it as improper use, which will void the warranty. as far as I know, it's on par with all other phone manufacturers, as I don't think any OEM offers warranty that covers water damage.