Join now - be part of our community!

Why do the new xperia phones removed Lanyard Hole?

shukuki555
Visitor

Why do the new xperia phones removed Lanyard Hole?

The Lanyard Hole was a big bonus and makes the xperia different from other brands. It might not be a big thing to some, but its the details of their designs through out their xperia lineups. They should really consider bring back the Lanyard Hole, because its just this little hole that makes the xperia more unique and a bit different from other competitors and Its also useful to some users who likes to put a strap on their phones.

22 REPLIES 22
profile.country.PH.title
MarlonUk1
Expert
Nuno_sf
Visitor

We should be discovering new functionalities and improvements, not counting missing Z features. In several aspects, we are moving back to models before Xperia Z. Other brands are moving forward copying Sony features like waterproof and good cameras.

For sound and vision fans it’s now easier to move to other brands.

melmelb
Visitor

I too miss the lanyard hole Slightly_frowning_Face
UGLYDOLL
Visitor

The real answer is the cel phone lanyard toy and figure business in Japan evaporated once iPhone launched in Japan.
Sony was one of the last hold outs, but nobody is in that business in Japan anymore.
( They tried headphone port buddies for a short while with nowhere near the same sales volume and gave up, and with iPhone 7...That's all folks)
dquilon
Contributor

That really stinks... because it was a really helpful feature... 

I got truly used to having the strap around my wrist while using it, and it helped more than once to prevent losing my phone to a huge fall....

Anyway I will have a look and see if a case solves my future needs...

The DevilCase do have a landyard hole... but it is quite big... 

http://www.twdevilcase.com/en/index.php?menu=prod_detail&mid=21&did=1&pid=5281&list=class

evilo10
Visitor

I totally agree. I was quite disappointed to discover its missing once I bought the xz. As a. Artist, that's a precious advantage for me while painting. Are there solid cases which can solve that problem.?
Don82
Visitor

Ringke fusion. Antiscrats back plastic,a Lanyard hole,dust caps headphone and usb-c.Only available from US. Amazon got them. I bought myself one in smoke black for my black Xz. Best case on te market if you dont like big alu frames.
ply17410
Visitor

Personally I think Sony figured out having a lanyard helped prevent dropping of the phone.

No dropped broke phones ... no new purchases.

I know having the wrist strap on my Z5 has saved me from dropping the phone countless times.

Bob H

Remove the fm radio, remove the hole for lanyard, remove .... They do not update security patches, but if they charge 700 euros for the terminal is the only thing they care. He had always defended sony, but this is indefensible. If I do not have updates or special features .... why pay 700 € if I can buy a Chinese phone for 300 €?

Yorkieman
Visitor

I agree - lack of lanyard hole was not a 'show stopper' on my choice of phone, but it will figure when I next upgrade