Join now - be part of our community!

XZ Premium - 20% battery issue - would a slight tear in battery cable cause these issues?

profile.country.GB.title
avdgfc
Explorer

XZ Premium - 20% battery issue - would a slight tear in battery cable cause these issues?

All,

Just looking for a bit of advice on battery/charging issues with an XZ Premium.  I just want a second opinion on whether the issues below are battery related or due to a wider issue to decide whether or not to repair.

This morning I had a camera error - "error: unknown error" when trying to use my camera.  The flashlight also wouldn't work.

• Tried the usual clear cache/data first, then booted in safe mode and finally software repair using Xperia companion and still getting the camera error.
  • Ended up taking the back panel off, disassembling the camera and a few other flex cables and following a reboot camera works well and initial problem fixed and I was happy.

I then discovered a series of other issues relating to the battery/charging of the phone and I'm trying to establish whether these issues are all related or whether a replacement battery is required.  With relation to battery:

• Realised after reassembly that my battery level was stuck on 20%.
  • When plugged into a charger it does not go up or down but always 20%.  Red charging indicator light does not illuminate but phone does vibrate when connected to the USB.  When you look at battery settings it says charging and circa 1 day battery life left.
  • Opened up the root menu for service/checks and the battery test failed and message said in red text "replace". 
  • The phone was working fine with this 20% battery display issue and initial camera fix worked.
  • I took the back case off again and spotted what I believe to be a very small tear in the battery connector flex cable (see attached near EB close to port).  I suspect this occurred when taking the back cover off for the initial camera fix.
  • The phone now will power on when plugged into mains cable but as soon as removed it shuts down.  When plugged in we get green battery icon. When unplugged we get red battery icon.

Query is, would a slight tear in this cable result in the phone not charging but working via the mains, or, are these issues suggesting something more.

It's really a question of do I try a replacement battery or replacement phone!!!

Thanks in advance.

IMG_3549_V2.jpg

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.PH.title
MarlonUk1
Expert

hello @avdgfc  :slight_smile:

I would suggest to have the phone checked by an authorized sony service center near you. https://services.sony.co.uk/supportmvc/en/contact/

mostly likely your warranty is already void, so they might charge a fee for repair, you can decide then if the fee is justifiable for repair or not , then you might consider buying an upgrade.. 

profile.country.GB.title
avdgfc
Explorer

Stripped phone down, installed new battery and battery/charging issues have gone.  Believe the tear in the battery flex cable was the fault and reason why the phone wouldn't hold a charge but fixed and all resolved.

Thanks in anycase