Join now - be part of our community!

a55 Camera overheating when recording Movie

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
brhubba
Visitor

a55 Camera overheating when recording Movie

I have taken movies before in Florida and have never had this problem.  On Saturday, when the ambient temperature was below average and I had been recording for about 8 minutes, I suddenly had the recording stop with the error message ' camera overheating' appear on the screen.  I switched off and left it a few minutes and then took some stills and the camera worked O.K.  Any suggestions ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

This is a known issue and common to most DSLR cameras to some degree or other when shooting movies or continuous still images.  However, the in-camera steady shot adds to this heating in Alpha cameras as power is being used to constantly move the sensor to counteract camera shake.

Sony have released a guide which would appear to agree with your observations - at 20 degrees the continuous shooting time is 9 minutes with SteadyShot ON and 29 minutes with steadyshot OFF.  This time decreases rapidly at higher temperatures.

Have a look at this Sony link: -

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/news-item.pl?news_id=424&mdl=SLTA33

:thinking:

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

This is a known issue and common to most DSLR cameras to some degree or other when shooting movies or continuous still images.  However, the in-camera steady shot adds to this heating in Alpha cameras as power is being used to constantly move the sensor to counteract camera shake.

Sony have released a guide which would appear to agree with your observations - at 20 degrees the continuous shooting time is 9 minutes with SteadyShot ON and 29 minutes with steadyshot OFF.  This time decreases rapidly at higher temperatures.

Have a look at this Sony link: -

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/news-item.pl?news_id=424&mdl=SLTA33

:thinking:

brhubba
Visitor

Many thanks for that information and promptness of your reply, your expert knowledge is very much appreciated.

Sam_e_p
New

If you are trying to squeeze every last second out of A55 or NEX film recording times then raise the LCD screen.