Join now - be part of our community!

How to disable flash? - Sony a6000

t.romaniv
Explorer

How to disable flash? - Sony a6000

Hello.

Can anybody explain me of how to disable a flash in any of P/A/S/M modes?

My Sony a6000 camera says me that I can't disable flash in those modes. But, why?

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Thanks.

34 REPLIES 34
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi all,

the only feedback I have been able to get so far is that the design team is investigating, I'll see if I can get a further update..

prd2808
Explorer

Hi,

I am new to this community but not sure what the problem is, I have a A6000 and I set the flash to fiil in mode and it never pops up when using PASM modes, or am I misunderstanding the issue.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Sounds interesting..

@prd2808 wrote:

Hi,

I am new to this community but not sure what the problem is, I have a A6000 and I set the flash to fiil in mode and it never pops up when using PASM modes, or am I misunderstanding the issue.

Can anyone please confirm if the suggestion above is indeed a suitable work around.?

timojk

Hi. You need to pop it up by the flash button on the first place. This topic is about disabling the flash from the menu after pop-up in manual modes.
t.romaniv
Explorer

It never popups automatically but it always flashes even if it is closed.

profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi timojk,

the only way to disable the flash in P/A/S/M modes is to keep it down in the camera body. This is the same behaviour as for all other SLT and system camera bodies from Sony, The flash will not pop-up automatically as it's mechanically locked. It can be release only by pressing the flash button.

We've forwarded your request to product design but haven't got any feedback up to now.

Anyway, maybe you can explain why you pop-out the flash when inserting the camera body to the housing. Is it by accident because the housing is too narrow? Or do you want to use the flash underwater? (from my point of view the integrated flash is too weak for underwater pictures - so better use some external flashes.

Would be happy to get some more details.

Thanks a lot in advance

Cheers

Peter

timojk

Hi.

While diving you may want to use the flash once in a while. Currently I need to decide before entering the water whether I use it or not. I cannot simply push it back while underwater.

Funny enough, on auto-mode you can disable the flash even after pop-up but not in manual mode 😊

Cheers,
Timojk
profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi Timojk,

Thanks for the additional information.

Since the power of the internal flash is quite weak I would recommend to use some external flashes - this might give yoe much better results. In addition it might also solve your issue.

Anyway, I've given some additional information to engineers and waiting for feedback now.

Have a nice day

Cheers

Peter

timojk

Hi. I know the flash is weak and I'm using external flash. Once I would not need a flash anymore I just turn the external off but the internal flash keeps destroying the images while diving. I actually try to use piece of dark plastic on the front of the internal flash but it's kind of lame way of denying actual problem - obviously it also consumes some battery for nothing.

Thanks for your reply

Cheers
Timojk
profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi timojk,

Understand! Using a black sheet to cover the internal flash would have been the solution I would have offered as well when using external flashes to solve the issue currently.

As said the issue has been forwarded to engineering team but I can't tell you if or when there will be a solution to switch off the flash in the menu.

Cheers

Peter