Join now - be part of our community!

How to disable flash? - Sony a6000

t.romaniv
Explorer

How to disable flash? - Sony a6000

Hello.

Can anybody explain me of how to disable a flash in any of P/A/S/M modes?

My Sony a6000 camera says me that I can't disable flash in those modes. But, why?

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Thanks.

34 REPLIES 34
timojk

Again this thing is bugging me

I need the internal flash underwater to fire my external flash via the optical cable which transfers the flash signal into the xternal slave flash unit. Once in a while I want to use only ambient light and do not want to use the flash at all. Then I turn off the xternal flash but the internal flash keeps firing causing disturbing light balls into the picture and using the battery for no reason.

I have tried to bypass these internal flash disturbance by building a plastic cover in front of the internal flash but it's a bit builky and not very convenient.

So would appreciate of this small setting in the menu of disabling the flash also in the manual modes. It's working already in the automatic modes so cannot understand why it cannot be done also for the manual modes.

Cheers, timojk

timojk

Any news from Sony?

profile.country.GB.title
EdwinaU

Hi timojk,

Have you thought about contacting Sony support for advice? You can reach them here: http://bit.ly/1YgaAzZ

Hope this helps.

EdwinaU

profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor

An Experts and one of the community team have already confirmed that there is not currently a workable solution to prevent the flash from firing when in manual mode, so I am not sure why you advise people to waste time contacting Sony support!
profile.country.GR.title
dipolyd

The flash is disabled by itself since you do not extend it.

DIM POL
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi dipolyd,

if you read the first posts it seems that under certain situations this in not as simple as you suggest..

If you have a Nauticam housing, you have a lever that will allow you to push the flash down (and up).

timojk

Thanks for the information. Unfortunatelly I have Meikon case which does not have this kind of pop-down possibility without opening the case.

AquaPurv
New

Hi all,

I am also very frustrated with this product design by not being able to have full controls of the flash in manual mode.  I would like to switch between external strobes at deeper depths during a dive and ambient light at more shallower depths say 30ft where the strobes aren't necessary.  It is possible to turn the strobes off at those shallower depths, however if the flash is still activated on the camera the camera automatically reduces the setting parameters and doesn't give me the range in shutter speed and f-stop I would like.

I work in the field of marine science and I am constantly asked about my opinion on this camera. I am really please with the quality of the imagines it produces, but because of it's lack of versatility with the flash (which is a key feature in underwater photography) I have trouble recommending the camera.

Any possibility the product development team would be working on firmware to fix this issues?

-Andrew    

profile.country.GB.title
snbence
Explorer

Hello!

I am planning to buy this a6000 for partly underwater use with a meikon housing, but this problem sounds like a real fustration. I am wondering that the new firmware (v3.20) still got this issue? Or maybe soneone has some exprerience with other models like a5100, a6300?

Thanks for your answer.