Join now - be part of our community!

Motionflow issue

profile.country.GB.title
Alex299def
Explorer

Motionflow issue

I find out something intresting about Motionflow in my KDL 50W755C. Motionflow not work in default or any other players when videofile have aspect ration other than 16:9.

72 REPLIES 72
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

How do you come to the conclusion that motionflow doesnt work with aspect ratio's other an 16:9?  I can test things on my TV as I will have the same firmware version as you and should work the same - if you can provide steps on how to reproduce this?

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Alex299def
Explorer

HI

I have two video samples: one 2.35:1 aspect ratio and frame size 1920x804(Motionflow not working)

other close to 16:9 aspect ratio and frame size 1920x1040(Motionflow working perfectly). In this sample black bars was added manually.

2.35:1

16:9

Thanks for answer

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I also have samples where MotionFlow fails. It can easily be determined with samples which include a ticker. When the ticker is more into the middle of the screen, MotionFlow works better compared to when the ticker is more to the bottom. I assume that MotionFlow gives more weight to the center of the image. But that's just wild guessing.

In your case I would have assumed the opposite as the 2.35:1 sample has no encoded black bars, so MotionFlow should probably have a better chance to get it right.

How do you determine whether MotionFlow is working/not working?

profile.country.GB.title
Alex299def
Explorer

Its easy to test motionflow.

1. Install VLC player,
  2. download any 2.35:1 video,
  3. play it in VLC player,
  4. in VLC player set motionflow at custom, smoothness at 5 and film mode at high

You will see that nothing change, but when you stretch image in VLC player motionflow start working

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

And you notice it by the artifacts and soap opera effect that it produces at Smoothness=5?

profile.country.GB.title
Alex299def
Explorer

Its only for testing. In stretched 2.35:1video motionflow works and you see soap opera effect, but in not stretched 2.35:1 video no difference if smoothness=5 or off, motionflow not working

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I now tried your samples and can't confirm your findings. I tried it from within Kodi and applied a Smoothness of 5. Both samples played with SOE and and quite a lot of artifacting.

Kodi asked me to set the 2D/3D mode for the 16:9 sample. So seems like this a 3D sample? I wasn't asked for the 2.35:1 sample though. Probably that's what makes the difference? But then again I would expect the 16:9 sample to fail for MotionFlow.

[EDIT] Used samples in wrong way. New answer here.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I checked the samples with MediaInfo...

The 16:9 is H.264 AVC.

The 2.35:1 is H.264 AVC MVC (3D).

profile.country.GB.title
John_Keats

I tried the sample and changing smoothness didn't change anything - no SOE at all.

Generally for all full screen videos without black borders, the picture seems to be more smooth.