Join now - be part of our community!

SONY BRAVIA KD55XF9005 Auto Dim on Netflix - Please Help!

profile.country.GB.title
Oldfish1
Explorer

SONY BRAVIA KD55XF9005 Auto Dim on Netflix - Please Help!

Hello all!

I have searched for weeks trying to find a solution for this, but nothing as of yet! I'm hoping someone here can help me!

What Did I Try? 🤔

I have tried to watch Netflix on the TV through multiple methods:

• Via Sky Q Netflix App
  • Via the default Netflix App on Sony TV
  • Via the Netflix App on my iPhone, cast via a Chromecast Ultra

The Problem 🙃

Each method above results in the same problem.

The Netflix menu screen browsing the various films and series are filled with fantastic color and vibrancy. Then once you go to watch a title, the TV flickers, and the picture appears a faded dark wash, with no vibrancy and a dull picture. 

Menu Screen - Vibrant Image  

1.jpg

Title Screen - Vibrant Image - Just before image changes 

3.jpg

Title Screen - Dull and Faded Image - After image changes 

4.jpg

Please Help! 😭

I am convinced this is an issue with the TV, and not Netflix, as my Samsung TV in the second lounge doesn't have this issue at all, and maintains a vibrant and bright picture. 

An expensive model TV, paired with a premium Netflix subscription is just not making great viewing at the moment. I'm hoping someone has the solution on here!

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Probably I did not understand the problem... You are caring about the netflix menu not the content?!?

The netflix menu (as other Android UI) cannot be rendered in HDR by the tv (may be it is a bug i do not know) so when the preview start of the Dolby Vision title you selected the menu is rendered wrongly. the same apply if you look at the youtube interface when closing an hdr clip for a split second. Now which is the problem? you want to look at the preview or see the film? When you run the film is it rendered ok?

I do not remember if the netflix app can be set to switch off the preview, if so set it 

BTW the samsung does not support Dolby Vision :wink:

profile.country.GB.title
Oldfish1
Explorer

When I start to watch content on Netflix, the picture dims and fades making it very dark and washed out

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

But  your post is related to the app ui not content....

profile.country.GB.title
Oldfish1
Explorer

It is not the app UI, the images I’ve posted are taken from a video I filmed to show how the colour fades from the “film or series” once I press play, does that help to tell you the problem?

All programs on Netflix, when viewed on the Sony Tv, once I pressed play to watch the program, change from vibrant to dull.

this doesn’t happen on my iPhones, tablets, MacBook Pro or Samsung TV.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

The photos you posted are taken off the app UI, where are the photo showing the film playing?

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

BTW looking at the photo, when you see a vibrant image which image setting are you using? Is it Brilliant?

profile.country.GB.title
Oldfish1
Explorer

As Netflix auto plays when you click onto film or tv series, that is what I have demonstrated with the images attached earlier in the post.

The 1st image shows the UI menu

2nd image shows what happens when I scroll onto (in this case) “The Witcher”

3rd image shows what happens as the content starts to auto play. The colour changes and becomes dull.

if I were to click “back” to the menu, the picture gets brighter again

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Probably being an italian mother tongue I am not able to describe in the right way what I mean.

In the photo what you are showing is the app UI (i.e. the menu) with a content playing in a portion of it: since the content switch the panel to HDR mode and the UI is not, it could be rendered wrongly.

You have to check how the content is displayed in full screen.

In any case you didn't answer to my question: when you say vibrant, which scene is selected? Brilliant, Standard, Cinema, Custom..? because it may be that what you recognize as dull colour could be the real cinema ones

profile.country.GB.title
Devnatu
Explorer

I was able to resolve this issue by turning off power saving on KD-55AG8

hope this helps.

Thanks 

Dev