Join now - be part of our community!

dcr-hc20e video to computer problem

SOLVED
profile.country.sv_SE.title
kelundsten
Visitor

dcr-hc20e video to computer problem

I have a handycam dcr-hc20e and have problem transferring videos to the computer. First, the CD with Picture Package is lost, can I get it elsewhere? Secondly, I have Windows 7 on my computer, is it compatible with the USB-driver for this camera-model?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.en_GB.title
Mick2011
New

Hi kelundsten, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

Older camcorders used the USB interface in a slightly different way to modern operating systems. For this reason pretty much all 'legacy' video cameras that worked fine in XP have not seen the development of updated USB drivers.

Your options are either using Firewire (connecting the DV-out port on the camera to a firewire port on your PC) or using an analogue output via the 3.5mm jack on the camera and re-digitising via a catpture unit such as the Pinnacle Dazzle: http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/uk/Products/Consumer+Products/Dazzle/Dazzle+Video+Archiving/Da...

You should also be able to connect via the analogue cables to a TV and use a DVD recorder to re-digitise your movies.

However the best quality by far comes with Firewire (because it's a direct digital connection to the PC) and if you're able to use it, or fit a firewire card to your PC, I would recommend that over all other options.

You may be able to purchase a replacement Picture Package disk via Sony customer services, but it's probably not worth worrying about as you can use any number of free video editing applications, once you have the video uploaded to your computer.

Cheers

Mick

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.en_GB.title
Mick2011
New

Hi kelundsten, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

Older camcorders used the USB interface in a slightly different way to modern operating systems. For this reason pretty much all 'legacy' video cameras that worked fine in XP have not seen the development of updated USB drivers.

Your options are either using Firewire (connecting the DV-out port on the camera to a firewire port on your PC) or using an analogue output via the 3.5mm jack on the camera and re-digitising via a catpture unit such as the Pinnacle Dazzle: http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/uk/Products/Consumer+Products/Dazzle/Dazzle+Video+Archiving/Da...

You should also be able to connect via the analogue cables to a TV and use a DVD recorder to re-digitise your movies.

However the best quality by far comes with Firewire (because it's a direct digital connection to the PC) and if you're able to use it, or fit a firewire card to your PC, I would recommend that over all other options.

You may be able to purchase a replacement Picture Package disk via Sony customer services, but it's probably not worth worrying about as you can use any number of free video editing applications, once you have the video uploaded to your computer.

Cheers

Mick