Join now - be part of our community!

How full is the card?

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
tobliss
Explorer

How full is the card?

I'm new to recording on card - been using tape for decades.

ON a tape it tells you on the screen how much time is left. I know the card doesn't know how much time, but surely it knows how many gigs?

I can't find any place on my camcorder which tells me how much I've shot.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.en_GB.title
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello again :slight_smile:

As far as I am aware, the only way to see this value is to tap on the middle of the screen. I think that it has been designed like this to prevent it from being a constant distraction during filming.

Thanks,

Simon

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello tobliss :slight_smile:

If you let me know the exact model number of your camcorder, I will take a look and see how the Time/Capacity indicator is switched on and off.

Thanks,

Simon

profile.country.GB.title
tobliss
Explorer

It's an HDR PJ740. I've searched the manual, obviously, but you need to know what Sony decided to call this feature to use the index, and nothing obvious comes up.

Many thanks

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Looking at the information on page 26 of the manual:

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4418120112.pdf

When you are filming, does the time remaining information appear when you tap your finger on the middle of the screen? This section of the screen is number '14' in the diagram at the bottom of the page.

Thanks,

Simon

profile.country.GB.title
tobliss
Explorer

Ah - that's it - thanks!

Is there any way to have it on the screen all the time? I find that info very cluttered and hard to read, and it goess off after just a second or two.

blaireau_photo
Visitor

As far as I am aware, the only way to see this value is to tap on the middle of the screen. I think that it has been designed like this to prevent it from being a constant distraction during filming.

Thanks,

Simon

profile.country.GB.title
tobliss
Explorer

Ok, many thanks Simon. Personally I like to always see how much time I have before running out so I can get ready for a quick swap, but I guess it happens less often on a card then on tapes, and it's only a rough guide anyway, so best to change cards long before you have to when doing long takes like concerts and speeches.

Thanks for your help

Tom