Join now - be part of our community!

How to avoid "Ghosting effect"

SOLVED
profile.country.GR.title
ioagount

How to avoid "Ghosting effect"

Hi everyone!

I need your help!

I use Polaroid 52mm Multi-Coated UV Protector Filter on my FDR-AX33 camera lens to protect it against dust, scratches and damage. But when I record my video in the middle of the day or when the sun is bright, an image (Ghost) appears because the lens is mirrored in the filter. Can someone tell me how to avoid this ghosting? I do not want to remove the filter but it creates this problem. Is there any other type of filter suitable for shooting in high brightness situations?

Thank you in advance.

GhostingGhosting

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GR.title
ioagount

Update about the ghosting effect:

Lately I used an ND-filter and the "Ghosting effect" dissapeared!

So, it had to do with the type of the filter.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @ioagount,

since it is already "Multi-Coated" (I assume to prevent exactly the effect you are experiencing) I would say, there isn't much more you can do.

- Nic

profile.country.GR.title
ioagount

...or if I buy a more expensive filter?

Any other ideas?

Somebody?

profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi @ioagount,

are you sure that the reflection of the lense is caused by the filter? That seems to be rather unlikely because the distance between the filter and the lense should simply be too short to produce such a rather clear image of the lense in the final image.

I'd rather say that the car's window was closed when taking the movie and that the mirror effect was/is caused by the window pane.

Cheers

darkframe

Wo kämen wir hin, wenn jeder sagte, wo kämen wir hin und keiner ginge, um zu sehen, wohin wir kämen, wenn wir gingen... (© by Kurt Marti)
profile.country.GR.title
ioagount

Hallo darkframe,

When I read your answer, I said that you are right.

But, I found another video that proves that this effect is happening when I record at high brigtness levels outside.
I don't know how to solve this. Maybe I must buy another filter, but what kind of filter ?

Maybe a proffessional in the forum could help me...

* You can download the video from here.

Ghosting No2Ghosting No2

profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi @ioagount,

well, maybe, after all, it seems as if the filter could actually be the cause of the effect.

However, before starting speculating wildly I'd suggest to take two shots, one with and one without filter in the very same conditions. That would clarify if actually the filter caused the reflection.

Could you please test that?

Cheers

darkframe

Wo kämen wir hin, wenn jeder sagte, wo kämen wir hin und keiner ginge, um zu sehen, wohin wir kämen, wenn wir gingen... (© by Kurt Marti)
profile.country.GR.title
ioagount

Dear darkframe,

I will do it until the weekend and I will come back with a new reply.

Thank you.

profile.country.GR.title
ioagount

Hi,

I took two shots, one with and one without the filter, as you suggested me.

You're right, when I shoot without the filter, the "ghost" dissapears! So, maybe I have to do with a bad filter or whatever...

By the way, I ordered 3 other filters to enahance my videos: 

• UV filter
  • CPL filter
  • ND8 filter

Every advice will be appreciated.

Thank you very much and have a good day.

profile.country.GR.title
ioagount

Hello everyone,

Finally, I bought this Hoya CIR-PL Filter.

The "Ghosting effect" as described above still exists. I think it has to do with the angle of the camera lenses facing the sun. It is inevitable to happen if you use filter.
However, CPL filter work great on this camera, my videos have better saturated colors, the reflections on the water disappear and become transparent, the contrast is getting more intense and the sky more blue. I highly recommend this.

Once again I confirm the high quality of the FDR camera. Sony made excellent work!

profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi @ioagount,

thanks for your hint and sorry for the late reply. I was unable to log in for some time.

Cheers

darkframe