Join now - be part of our community!

getting a higher resolution photo

profile.country.en_GB.title
rwessling
Visitor

getting a higher resolution photo

Im a beginner so this is probably a stupid question.  I tried to use a photo for an ornament order and was told it was too low of resolution.  Occasionally, people will ask that i send a photo with a higher resolution.  How do i do that?  Is there a setting on my camera to insure that i have a higher resolution?   Was it because it was shot in low light?  Or with iso of 800?   It says  it is a 18.2 megapixels camera, but some photos with the same classifications seem to be o.k.  I don't even know how to ask this question intelligently?  Help!

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.en_GB.title
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello rwessling - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

One of the problems with these websites that offer photo gifts is that there is very little human checking of images - everything is done at the uploading stage by computer and usually the retailer's software is programmed to automatically detect when the resolution is too low. When this happens, it will then flag it to you and depending on the company, they may not accept it at all (this is to minimise the risk of a customer making a complaint about the final product).

To answer your main question, this image quality usually purely refers to the resolution and it has nothing to do with the other settings i.e. the amount of pixels that are in the image. Lighting conditions and other elements shouldn't affect whether or not the website accepts the image. The best way to check this would be to look at your images when they are on your computer and click them once to view the file sizes - the larger the size, the higher the resolution (in Windows for instance, right-click the file and select 'Properties').

If you let me know your model of camera, I will show you how to see the menu on-screen to adjust the picture quality (resolution) of your captured images.

Thanks,

Simon