Join now - be part of our community!

Book recommendations anyone?

profile.country.GB.title
Drewde
Administrator

Book recommendations anyone?

Hi Community,

Have you read any good books lately that you could recommend to the rest of the community? It would be great to hear of any good reads, as there's still plenty of time to enjoy them this summer :slight_smile:

This week I have another book highlight that I'd like to share with you: "The River of No Return" by Bee Ridgway, a book that takes on the subject of time-travelling and will delight fans of historical fiction, romance and fantasy alike. It's a must-read if you liked the The Time Traveler's Wife or The Night Circus, but highly recommended to anyone who enjoys a good book.

The River of no Return.jpg

Here's the synopsis to get you started:

"1812: On a lonely battlefield in Spain, Lord Nicholas Falcott, Marquess of Blackdown, is about to die .... But, the next moment, he inexplicably jumps forward in time, nearly two hundred years - very much alive. Taken under the wing of a mysterious organisation, The Guild, he receives everything he could ever need under the following conditions:

He can't go back.

He can't go home.

He must tell no one.

Accepting his fate, Nicholas begins a life of luxury as a twenty-first century New York socialite, living happily thus for the next ten years. But, when an exquisite wax sealed envelope brings a summons from the Alderwoman of The Guild, Nicholas is forced to confront his nineteenth century past.

Back in 1815, Julia Percy's world has fallen apart. Her enigmatic grandfather, the Earl of Darchester, has died and left her with a closely guarded secret, one she is only now discovering - the manipulation of time. In terrible danger from unknown enemies, Julia flees her home to the sanctuary of neighbouring Falcott House. In this strange place Julia and a recently returned Nicholas are drawn to each other and together they realise how little Julia knew about her beloved grandfather and begin to understand his ominous last words... "

You can check out the author's blog here and check out three interviews with the author below:

I hope you like it and look forward to your reviews and impressions here!

Tags (2)
3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.en_GB.title
carpetmojo

Anything by James Lee Burke - one of America's finest living writers, won stacks of awards all through his lfe, and keeps producing the goods. :cool:

Wiki him for a fuller description.

Early books include Lay Down My Sword & Shield & To The Bright & Shining Sun .

Perhaps best known for the Robicheaux series, but he cannot write a bad word, frankly ....

[ His "The Tin Roof Blowdown", in particular,  set around the Hurricane Katrina disaster, is a damning indictment of the  government's response to the tragedy. ]

Highly recommended - and there's lots to read, ideal if, like me, you like to follow the whole canon of a writer's output ! !

Nadine1325

The River of No Return sounds fascinating! I love time travel and historical fiction - pretty much any book set in the future, another planet or in the past :wink: I think I'll buy that for my reader.

It reminds me of The End of Mr Y - which flipped from the modern day to the Victoria era and had bits where the main protagonist, Ariel, can "leap" into other people's minds and read their thoughts. Very good book!

Carpetmojo - I haven't heard of James Lee Burke before. I do like some detective novels but can be hard to find a good series. Like you - if I enjoy an author, I have to read EVERYTHING by them, so I'm glad he's written loads! IS there a particular book you recommend reading first?

profile.country.en_GB.title
carpetmojo

Either of the above mentioned really - most books can stand alone, despite being in a series....

The Robichaux  series is his best known and prolific (!) but he has a couple of other "more than one-book" ones ... but those two will start you of nicely - enough to either hook you, intruige you, or put you off :cool:

Enjoy .....