Join now - be part of our community!

Bluray BDPS6200B HDMI ARC ?

profile.country.GB.title
efiste2
Explorer

Bluray BDPS6200B HDMI ARC ?

Does my BDPS6200B HDMI socket support ARC, I cant seem to find any mention of it in the manuals. My player is a region B model (europe)

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

HDMI-ARC is not available on this bluray player.  Why might you ask? 

ARC stands for Audio Return Channel.  The Bluray player is sending both Audio and Video up to either a TV or AV Receiver - this device does not require ARC because there is no audio to return back to the bluray player from the TV.  Only devices that have speakers from it will need ARC such as Home Cinema Systems (i.e. The BDV range)

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
efiste2
Explorer

I may be mistaken, but I was informed that ARC meant that its BI-DIRECTIONAL audio, and if both TV and BD player support ARC then the BD player can act as a hub to the AV amp, ie anything played into the TV inputs PS3 etc etc, will be able to get back to the AV amp via the ARC HDMI link. Then the connection between the BD and AV amp does the rest. Hence the need for the BDplayer to be ARC compatible....

As I say I have probably understood it totally in the wrong manner, but here is what was posted.
"ARC (Audio Return Channel) was implemented in 1.4 specification of HDMI and basically they made the communication bidirectional so that an external device can send output video/audio to the TV and can also receive the audio back from the TV. This is specificall usefull for HT that can act as an HDMI HUB for other device (like BD player, console, etc) passing thorugh the video signal to the tv while processing the audio track and operate the TV receiving and processing the audio (i.e. from DTV)"
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ahhhh, I think I know what you are trying to do now.  The BDP-S6200 does not and cannot act as a hub - its a single stand-alone device - Hence no ARC (as it is not needed due to no directly attached speakers)

Its actually the AMP or your home theatre system that act as a hub.  You connect all your devices to it.  However you can also have your TV act as a Hub too - if your audio system is not up to scratch.  Your referring to your previous thread: http://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/5-1-ac3-passthrough-on-kdl-42w829b/m-p/1869213

And your System is the HTK-215.

I assume you have already connected an optical cable from the TVs Optical Out to the AUX input on the HTK-215?  If so, do you get sound from the TV on the HTK-215 speakers.  Remember to check your TV settings to ensure that you are outputting audio via optical "Audio System".  Also remember to press the AUX button on the HTK-215.

If that works, you should then be able to connect the BDP-S6200 to the TV via HDMI of which the audio will then be outputted to the HTK-215 system.

To be quite frank though, as you have purchased a new TV and bluray player, it is my opinion that you consider a new audio system, considering the HTK-215 system is approx 15 years old - which makes compatibility between devices harder. As well as receiving additional benefits of audio codec support (ie better sound)

Hope this helps.