Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Entertainment Network (SEN) - Obsolete on Some Devices

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Sony Entertainment Network (SEN) - Obsolete on Some Devices

This is a breakaway thread from my earlier vTuner post which I hope will get better exposure here. Hopefully someone from Sony will see this and realise that the vTuner issue is now having a knock-on effect rendering other features of our devices inoperable.

For owners of the Sony STR-DN1040 Receiver (other models may apply) you will likely know that since the vTuner issue arose earlier this summer our SEN button on the remote control has now become obsolete for some owners and worthless to others.

Here in the UK we have just two SEN services, 'vTuner' & 'Music Unlimited'. However since the later is a premium service costing £9.99 p/month it is way too expensive for some. Likewise the suspension of vTuner has rendered my SEN button pretty much worthless either way.

However, those customers living in other parts of the world and who only have the one SEN service 'vTuner',  will now know that SEN button is now completely obsolete on your device.

As the SEN service was an advertised feature on our devices and no longer works I am therefore appealing to Sony via this post to compensate customers for the loss of the vTuner / SEN service and to provide free access to Music Unlimited on all STR-DN1040 models worldwide.

If you have a different model and can no longer access any services on SEN please update this post accordingly.

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
36 REPLIES 36
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

As an update to the above, SEN has now stopped functioning on my BDP-S7200 Blu-ray player!!

I cannot access the SEN Home feature from the cross media bar and only have the spinning orb of death. :cry: Strangly though I can access the Music Unlimited Subscription service and likewise Video Unlimited from Sony. Of course Music Unlimited is not worth using unless you have a subscription because you can only play 30 seconds of each track!!! Although Video Unlimited seems similar to the likes of Netflix and Amazon Instant and you can rent the latest movies or just watch previews.

Where did Sony go so wrong?

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Day 2

No change - No word from Sony!

Pistabacsi

Day 2 my Erse!
Day 5 for my 1040.
Absolutely livid about it.
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

@Pistabacsi wrote:
Day 2 my Erse!
Day 5 for my 1040.
Absolutely livid about it.

Um... NO!!! It's around day 38 on your STR-DN1040 since you only have the one service in SEN (vTuner). You have no other service therefore your SEN button has been obsolete since the start of this fiasco.

Maybe worth loging into the Sony Entertainment Network website and checking if you can enable any other service for your receiver? Worth a shot I guess.

Pistabacsi

Ooh. I hadn't thought of like that.
Sony can't wriggle out of this one 🐵
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Yes I think we got so bogged down with the vTuner issue we overlooked the obvious. I think almost all Sony entertainment products have the SEN feature although quite how many have been affected in this way I couldn't say.

With regard to my previous reply, have you actually logged into the SEN homepage yet? If you take a look at the vTuner post you'll see what I'm talking about. Once logged in you will see which SEN services are available on your devices and which ones you can add. I noticed a button to enable vTuner which was odd because my device already has it albeit now 'non functioning'. I did try to enable it but got a message saying that "vTuner has to be managed from the vTuner website" which as we all know is nonsense! vTuner is a free service for private users. Only vTuner Partners can manage this service and Sony is one of them. Therefore managing the service has to be done at a manufacturing level and not by a single user!

At the moment I'm beginning to believe this issue may be wider spread than I originally thought. Some members on the Sony US forums are reporting similar anomaly's with various services stopping working for no apparent reason such as Pandora, RedBull Racing, vTuner and so on. I'm just hoping this doesn't turn out to be another hack attack on Sony's servers!

Pistabacsi

I really don't want to have to register for yet another [edited by moderator to remove profanity] "service" tbh.
I have a remote control with one button made deliberately a different color to every other button and it used to work. It now doesn't.
I'd say that constitutes a quality failure and suggest (as Sony couldn't actually give a hoot) contacting all HiFi/ audio publications' social media feeds and asking them to run the story.

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

No worries, it would have been useful to see if your available options were different from my own but I understand you not wanting to do this.

I already posted @SonyUK and @BBCWatchdog about this on Twitter yesterday. :wink:

Pistabacsi

Sorry for being a tad "short", but I am really sick to death of Sony [edited by moderator to remove profanity] me about. I would try to see the services bit have to register to another [edited by moderator to remove profanity] site they proclaim to run.
They sure as *****e don't run this one or they'd have actually had a moderator relay the info.
That's what I would have done on my forum anyway.
I tweeted what HiFi bit I need more publications. Sony's sorry ass needs to be slapped hard.