Join now - be part of our community!

Firmware not updating on VW500ES

SOLVED
.Bart.
New

Firmware not updating on VW500ES

I have recently got my VW500ES; it came with firmware 1.001 and I found there is an update to 1.005. I can't seem to get it to install...

I have tried downloading it from different sites, including

http://www.sony.co.uk/pro/support/software/SET_BPE-*****-1129/1, and

http://www.sony.nl/pro/support/software/SET_BPE-*****-1129/1

I have unzipped the file per instructions and put the unzipped folder on a USB stick - the folder is called 'sony_dtv0FA30A07A0A7_00002900' and it contains one file, called '00002900_001b0000.bin'. There is nothing else on the USB stick.

I have powered down the projector, put in the USB, and power the projector on again; it seems to read the usb as the light on the thumbdrive goes on and flashes for a number of seconds on start-up, but after 5-10 seconds or so goes off and the projector starts up as normal without updating the firmware

I have tried 4 different USB sticks. I have tried it with ethernet and HDMI unplugged from the projector; I have unplugged power completely and then started it up again, etc.

Anyone any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Thanks for any help you guys can offer!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
.Bart.
New

well finally managed to get it to update - sharing how in case anyone else has the same problems

took a while to get any response from PrimeSupport, but the message was - 'here is a link to the file you need to download, here are the instructions, and it should work', which wasn't too helpful especially as I had already told them what I had already tried so telling me to read the same instructions again is a bit unhelpful. Anyways, asked if they could give any detail on what target format the USB stick should be, and they confirmed it should be FAT32. So at least that excluded FAT16 so played around some more with this.

- already had various USB sticks formatted in FAT32, had downloaded the file from various sources (nl site, uk site, primesupport site) etc, reformatted the usb sticks etc; didn't work

- I use a Mac, so also tried to download and unzip it on a windows machine on a FAT32 stick; didn't work

- then decided to reformat a USB again, but this time on my mac, but running VMWare Fusion with a virtual Windows 8 machine on it - and then it worked...

very vague as to why one version of FAT32 works whilst earlier FAT32 formatted sticks didn't... but in any case I got it to update.

So it was helpful knowing format I was supposed to be aiming for as the published instructions did not give any details on format.

Also - now that the projector is updated, the 4K database setting works better - when I played Elysium (a Sony 'mastered in 4K' movie) before the update the picture would be much grainier when I set the projector to use the 'mastered in 4k' database; now after the update the pictur eit is no longer grainy on that setting.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi .Bart.,

welcome to the Sony User Community Forum..:smileyhappy:

I have download the file & it is named exactly the same as yours& it looks like you have followed the instructions correctly - here is a copy just to be sure - Firmware instalation instructions

However as this is a proffesional model I would recommend you contact the PrimeSupport Team and discuss this with them..

.Bart.
New

Thanks Thalamus - 

I have now also tried to completely erase and reformat a couple USB sticks - one as FAT16 and one as FAT32, but still no joy.

On your recommendation I have contacted PrimeSupport - they sent me a different link to the same firmware file which I have just tried and unfortunately still no luck. So will try and progress it with them further tomorrow...! 

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

You're welcome, hopefully Prime support will be able to come up with a solution could you please keep us updated..
.Bart.
New

well finally managed to get it to update - sharing how in case anyone else has the same problems

took a while to get any response from PrimeSupport, but the message was - 'here is a link to the file you need to download, here are the instructions, and it should work', which wasn't too helpful especially as I had already told them what I had already tried so telling me to read the same instructions again is a bit unhelpful. Anyways, asked if they could give any detail on what target format the USB stick should be, and they confirmed it should be FAT32. So at least that excluded FAT16 so played around some more with this.

- already had various USB sticks formatted in FAT32, had downloaded the file from various sources (nl site, uk site, primesupport site) etc, reformatted the usb sticks etc; didn't work

- I use a Mac, so also tried to download and unzip it on a windows machine on a FAT32 stick; didn't work

- then decided to reformat a USB again, but this time on my mac, but running VMWare Fusion with a virtual Windows 8 machine on it - and then it worked...

very vague as to why one version of FAT32 works whilst earlier FAT32 formatted sticks didn't... but in any case I got it to update.

So it was helpful knowing format I was supposed to be aiming for as the published instructions did not give any details on format.

Also - now that the projector is updated, the 4K database setting works better - when I played Elysium (a Sony 'mastered in 4K' movie) before the update the picture would be much grainier when I set the projector to use the 'mastered in 4k' database; now after the update the pictur eit is no longer grainy on that setting.

abmagfab
New

Same solution, thanks.  Formatting on Windows (10) solved this.  The one option I think might be a problem is the block size?  In Windows, it came up as 8192, and I changed it to default.  Not sure if that was it, but Windows formatting to FAT32 fixes this.