Join now - be part of our community!

Lip sync problems

profile.country.en_GB.title
simoneast
Visitor

Lip sync problems

Guys!

Sony are asking for help with the sound sync problem. There is a request for everyone with lip sync issues on the E380 and some other devices to give details:

Get on there and let them know this needs fixing!!

Cheers!

Message was edited by: Thalamus.

Made thread a sticky post

Message was edited by: Thalamus.

Re-enabled the sticky function

75 REPLIES 75
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

kire1980 wrote:

Installed the new firmware last week as well, and the sync has definitely improved a lot. I would say that when using optical (TV) or coax (SAT/CABLE) as input there is no noticable delay anymore (with HDMI video directly connected to TV). So basically I would say, issue solved Thanks!

Also, when watching a BD/DVD disc, the sync is okay, no issues there.

HOWEVER, when I use the HDMI1 or HDMI2 input (audio is also input via HDMI1/2 input) the sync is still off by at least half a second... So no improvement there... When connected directly to my TV, the sync is perfect, so I guess that the source signal has correct sync, and the E380 is delaying the audio.

Although in my case it doesn't matter because I can use the optical/coax input, it looks like the issue has not been solved completely yet.

Hopefully my feedback can be used for the engineering team. The system is now almost fine, just a few steps left.

Hi Kire1980,

thanks for the feedback..

I've forwarded your post above onto Sony in a hope that it may be passed to engineering team, can't promise anything though..

profile.country.nl_NL.title
kire1980
Visitor

Ok great, thanks!

To me it seems like a small issue, almost like they forgot something (what could be the difference between having the audio coming in through the HDMI input or the optical/coax input?). Off course difficult to tell from my side. Hopefully they look into to it and conclude that it's only a quick fix for them.

Anyway, I'm quite happy to have a working system now because I'm able to use the other input for the audio, but I can imagine that in some applications where audio over HDMI is the only option, it would be nice to have it working as well.

simoneast
Visitor

Try setting delay to 25 or 50ms. Inoticed on mine that some media and sometimes as you say different actors and all that but I adjusted it and it looks perfect.

I think the delay was out a bit but so little that it was only noticeable some of the time and possibly more noticeable depending on how people in the movie speak.

You still need to adjust for the TV delay but once set you shoudl find it's all good.

Heessie
Visitor

Hi There,

I have a hometheatre Centre BDV-E780W and only HDMI devices are my problem. When I play a DVD everything is ok but when I attach a device to one of the HDMI ports there is a delay of -400ms. This means the image is quicker than the sound so the A/V sync option only makes it worse when I adjust something. I've contacted sony sereveral times but only get standard answers. I've asked to upgrade the A/V sync function to sync -500ms tot 500ms but I do not get an answer. Yesterday I've tried the new firmware but also this firmware is still only syncing for 0 to 300ms.

It has to do with my television because when I connect everything to an other newer TV there is no problem. Still, when I connect the same HDMI devices directly to my TV there is no sync issue. On my laptop I can set a delay of -400 ms and the problem is solved but my cable box has not got this option so this is a big problem because I cannot watch television with the 5.1 sound.

Please sony upgrade the A/V sync option to speed up the sound in stead of only delaying sound.

kire1980
Visitor

@Heessie:

that seems to be exactly what I'm experiencing too. Only HDMI sources are affected. I think that your TV sends some kind of A/V processing delay information to the E780 (mine seems to be doning that as well). Does your TV have an HDMI ARC connection? Can you try and disable this and see if the delay is still there?

In my case, also ony the HDMI inputs are affected. You can work around it by using an optical or coaxial connecting for the audio and connecting the video directly via HDMI to the TV (not though the E780).

I agree that this is just a workaround and not an actual solution, so I hope Sony engineering can look into this and provide a final solution.

Heessie
Visitor

@kire1980

My TV has no ARC function and also no optical. Coaxial I cloud try but as you sayd this is not a solution. Can you play 5.1 solund with coaxial? My TV is a Philips 47PFL9632D/10. Do you also have a philips tv?

Thanks for you reply.

kire1980
Visitor

Yes, I also have a Philips Tv (8606).

Playing 5.1 audio using a coaxial cable work without any problem. Optical cable works fine as well.

You need to connect the HDMI cable from you HDMI device (mediabox, tuner or whatever), directly to a free HDMI port on your TV. Then connect the coaxial (or optical) audio output from the box directly to the E780 and select SAT/CABLE or TV as the input source.

In my situation, this works perfect, no sync mismatch anymore. I hope this works in your situation as well.

I still believe that this is more like a work-around than a solution, and hope that it will be finally solved for good in the FW update. So we can connect any source we'd like and not have any AV mismatch anymore.

Heessie
Visitor

Kira1980, thanks again for your reply, I will give it a try. I do'nt think we are the only ones in this world to have this problem so any one who has the same issues please post it here so Sony will pick up the matter and solve this issue. And again @Sony:

For the time being, until the problem is solved, please upgrade your A/V sync with the possibility to sync plus and minus 500ms this allows us to use HDMI and sync it manualy. Please.

Ce message a été modifié par: Heessie

sanchopanz
Visitor

Hi, I have a BDV-L600 and exactly the same problem. More noticable on internet enabled channels. cheers   

kire1980
Visitor

It's been a while now, but is there any news on the next software update?

Altough the system is quite okay now, but I'm still noticing a few issues:

- When using the HDMI1 and 2 input, the sync is still not correct (lagging audio), same as before the last update

- Sometimes, when using optical or coaxial inputs, the sync is also off, but power-cycling the E380 solves it. It most often happens when switching between inputs while audio/video is played.

Would be nice if these could be solved as well :slight_smile:

Thanks!