Join now - be part of our community!

Lip sync problems

profile.country.en_GB.title
simoneast
Visitor

Lip sync problems

Guys!

Sony are asking for help with the sound sync problem. There is a request for everyone with lip sync issues on the E380 and some other devices to give details:

Get on there and let them know this needs fixing!!

Cheers!

Message was edited by: Thalamus.

Made thread a sticky post

Message was edited by: Thalamus.

Re-enabled the sticky function

75 REPLIES 75
profile.country.GB.title
The_Geek
Explorer

I started by thinking the lip sync problem was caused by my VM TiVo but I got that just a week before my KDL-40HX853 arrived and all my connected kit seems to be affected in the same way.

I have the aforementioned VM TiVo, a Humax HDR Fox T2, a Cambridge Audio Azur 751BD and a Denon AVR-3808.

Each is connected to the TV via HDMI (very good quality, 1.4 compliant).

TiVo and T2 are optical; the Azur is coax connected to the receiver.

I'm in the fortunate position of being able to delay the audio through the receiver and it seems to be the same for all inputs at 125ms compared with the TV sound.

I haven't had the set-up long enough to check, but is the consensus that it is the video signal that is out rather than the audio? That would mean that I may be introducing my own fault by trying to match the two audio sounds.

The only variation I haven't tried yet is to pass the video signals as well as the audio through the receiver as that would mean either having the sound system running whenever I'm watching television or swapping HDMI connections when I do want the Hi-Fi sound. *The choice of TV was based partly on the reviews saying how good the audio was compared to other makes/models but I have to say I'm more than a little disappointed so the others must be really bad!

profile.country.en_GB.title
wildkard
Visitor

Hi, found this forum while looking for lip sync issue solutions.

I have a BDV n590 home cinema system. Lip sync is out on all inputs.

The thing is, the audio signal comes out of the speakers after the video signal is displayed on the TV, so adding any additional delay only makes this worse. I am on the latest firmware.

What I find strange is that there is also very obvious audio delay occurring when I connect anything to the analogue stereo inputs. For example, I have a set of Pioneer DDJ T1 digital turntables. The analogue out from these is conencted to the analogue input on the 590. I can listen to the audio in my headphones (connected to the Pioneer system) and from the speakers on the Sony system at the same time - the Sony system is, I would say, 100ms later than the headphones. My understanding is that the analogue input is not processed at all, so surely there should be no delay?

It seems like an audio delay is introduced somewhere by the software/firmware on all audio connections on the Sony unit, perhaps ot compensate for the more usual issue of audio signal coming from the speakers before the TV image rather than after it (which is what is happening).

I hope this makes sense.

BTW the issue is 100PERCENTAGESIGN definitely with the Sony system. I have used both my TV and DDJ T1 with another amp and it is fine.

profile.country.GB.title
dereklane
Explorer

Model: KDL-46EX723

Firmware: PKG4.021 EUA-0104

Don't know if my set has always suffered from this as I couldn't receive HD channels on Freeview until the digital switchover.

All works well until I put the set into standby for the night. The next morning all is ok if I was on an SD channel when I put it into standby, if  however I was on an HD channel it comes up with a lip sync error, changing channels clears it.

jimmy908
New

sony55x8505 latest firm wear.i have only had the tv 2 weeks. when first turned on ok for about an hour then lip sync stars to go. then gets to bad and have to turn tv off to get it synced again. wish i could take it back

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi jimmy908

Try doing a factory reset, as this seems to cure many problems.

Cheers

Just purchased Sony 55x9005buu and it is out of sync with sky with twin tuner speech is running slow 

only on sky normal tv is fine.

profile.country.GB.title
NickJoh

I am with a company which manufactures products to correct lip-sync error in home cinema systems (which I won't name so this is not promotion) and I'd like to mention a few facts about lip-sync error that are not intuitatively obvious which make discussions on forums somewhat difficult:

1. Lip-sync error of some magnitude is essentially always present in every broadcast and even encoded into many DVD and BluRay discs.

2. Lip-sync error is "impossible" in the real world and when we are confronted with this contradition of reality on screen we subliminally avoid noticing it by perhaps looking away from the offending lips and faces of the characters or perhaps defocusig and this defense mechanism allows most viewers to ignore very large lip-sync error often in the 40 to 80 ms range.

3.Once a viewer's "threshold of recognition" - say 80 ms for example - is exceeded (He can no longer look askanse enough to ignore it and it enters his conscious mind.) he begins to focus on the lips and can detect much smaller lip-sync error than before.  His NEW "threshold of recognition" can be as low a a milli second in some cases.

4.Lip-sync error in broadcasts and in media like DVD and BluRay discs varies from programme to programme and from disc to disc and is largely ignored by the industry which focuses on the "fixed" lip-sync error caused when a display delays video more than audio.  Most TV's nowadays add audio delay to its speakers equal to its video delay but even that's usually off a little since the video dealy will vary depending upon the format being sent to the TV.

5. HDMI 1.3 and above has an "auto lip-sync correction" feature which is widely misunderstood: Most consumers think it automatcally corrects the changing lip-sync error in the signal but it doesn't.  It only allows a TV (the SINK) to tell its SOURCE the video delay it will add for progressive and interlaced formats (ignooring resolution and frame rate differences) and only those 2 FIXED delays (about 16 to 20 ms different) will be added (if the TV and source support the feature). That will come close to offsetting the fixed error caused by TV video delay but does nothing to correct the other lip-sync error already in the source signals.  But it might get it close enough to be "masked" by the viewer's threshold of recognition.

6. About 20 years ago research at Stanford University in the US showed most viewers don't consciously notice lip-sync errro below 42 ms ( a PAL frame is 40 ms) but even when not noticed it still caused the negative impact on viewer perception their reserach statistically documented.  The negative feelings about the charactrs they documented when lip-sync error was off were the same kinds of feelings we have about those who do not make eye contact with us but ironically it seems to be the "viewer" who is not making eye contact with the characters as he tries to avoid the impossibility of the lip-sync error confronting him.

Now for how this all applies to forum discussions:

Most discussion on forums about lip-sync error focus on "equipment" as the primary cause but often it isn't the equipment.  When equipment causes a lip-sync error it is usually a FIXED error not changing over time and a fixed audio delay like most AV receivers and some TV's offer can correct it.

The problem is that once you notice lip-sync error and even aftre correcting the "fixed" error that may have pushed this into your consciousness your new "threshold of recognition" is so much smaller you then notice the changing lip-sync errro in the broadcasts.  The only way to cancel those lip-sync errors that change from programme to programm is to adjust an audio delay while focusing on the lips during that particular programme.

This also means that one forum member who says his idetical equipment has no lip-sync error while another member is going crazy could be seeing the same thing but one has an intact defense mechanism and doesn't realize he is subliminally loking away from the characters faces.  Almost everyone sees lip-sync error if they focus intently on the lips and that's what you have to do while adjusting the audio delay if you really want it perfect.

But many viewers don't worry about the negative impact as long as they don't consciously notice the problem even though the research at Stanford showed it is still there at 42 ms

Do a Google search for lip-sync error and you will find a lot of information on the subject.  If your are interested in the Stanford research the authors of the paper were " Byron Reeves & David Voelke".

As you participate in forums keep in mind what one member "sees" isn't necessarily perceived the same way by another member and be aware that your own sensitivity to lip-sync error will change once you deliberately focus on the lips.

moto-m
Explorer

Model : KDL-32WD756

Software Version : 8.114-1000-1.240-01

The picture is ahead of the sound and is not in sync.

This is apparent in live broadcasts with no other equiptment involved.

As a long standing Sony customer I hope that Sony will be able to correct this with a software update soon as it detracts from the enjoyment of the quality of the product in every other way.

thallen49
Explorer

Folks,

we have a two month old 40WD653 television puchased directly from Sony and have noticed the problem. The fault is entirely within the TV and strangely is most noticable in news programs, especially the local BBC news and becomes worse during any 'outside' reports and their weather forecast. With other programs the effect is not noticable.

We are at software version V8.202-1000-1.240-01 receiving from the Rowridge transmitter. I have done a factory reset but the problem persists.

alang498
Explorer

I experience exactly the same as you have described