Join now - be part of our community!

RDR-HXD890 19th July 2013 No digital EPG and keeps freezing

Amanda-Jade
Explorer

RDR-HXD890 19th July 2013 No digital EPG and keeps freezing

I have just joined this forum in order to post regarding the above issue. I don't usually do these forums, but need to share this to show others that they are not alone in this problem.

Like everyone else on here, on Friday 19th July 2013, my Sony hard drive recorder lost all channels.

I thought it was just me and spent all night trying to fix the problem. I tried re tuning several times, and it kept saying it had found 118 channels but none would come up. The menu on the digital download screen also appeared in a different format to usual.

Eventually my recorder froze on TUNING at first, so I had to switch it off from the mains and then back on again. It then froze in UPDATE. I eventually went to bed at 3am having spent hours trying to sort it out.

I have to work this weekend and rely on the recorder to record the programmes I want to watch whilst working.

When I got up in the morning (20th) the recorder was still stuck on UPDATE so I turned it off from the mains again.

I phoned the Sony retail shop in Ealing Broadway and the sales assistant didn't know anything about it, but he did say another lady had phoned up with the same problem. He gave me a phone number for an independant store which fixes Sony equipment. I telephoned them and they knew nothing about it and said to bring the recorder in so they could take a look and order parts from Sony if necessary. Just for them to take a look would cost £33. They said they closed at 2pm but would keep it over the weekend and look at it on Monday.

I decided against taking it in on Saturday as they weren't going to look at it anyway until Monday.

I googled and found out about the Firmware download. I had no CD's so had to go out to the shops before starting work and buy some.

I downloaded the firmware and then put the CD into my recorder following the instructions. (My recorder was initally 1.15) It started the download but became stuck on Download 5. I was worried about turning it off (as per the warning instructions) so went to work and left it. On my return 10 hours later it was still frozen on Download 5.

Eventually I had no choice but to turn it off from the mains.

It then froze on UPDATE again, After several times of switching it on and off from the mains, I eventually got it to turn on and I checked my download which now showed 1.24.

I tried downloading the digital channels again but still nothing.

It's just totally unacceptable. When I got to work I was talking to another female colleague about it and the same thing had happened to her Sony recorder as well, at the same time!. I then googled the date of '19th July 2013 Sony recorder problems' and found this forum.

It sort of makes me feel better that I'm not alone, but it's shocking that a large company like Sony can run their business like this! I'm not a technical minded person and neither is my colleague and both of us thought it was our machines. Had I taken it into the repair shop, that would have cost me £33 minimum - which would have been wasted money. I even thought that my machine which is about 3-4 years old was knackered and I would have to buy a new one!

I know this seems trivial to some people but when you work long hours, you would like to come home after and relax and watch yr fave programmes you have recorded. I have to work later today as well and will not be able to record the White Queen which I love.

I'm working Monday as well, and due to the nature of my job, I won't be able to hang around on the phone for ages trying to get through to Sony.

Does anyone have their correct support phone number? The ones I found through Google are: 0905 0310006 & 0800 25 25 60 60 but who knows if they're the right ones!

I hope this problem is sorted immediately. Weekend or not, Sony should be working on rectifying the problem which no doubt has caused countless people a great deal of inconvenience and difficulty. This problem should be treated as a priority. I am guessing that Sony have probably made money from this as I expect that many people have thought that the fault is with their recorder and have gone out and bought a new one!

I think I'd be interested to know their sales figures on dvd recorders this weekend!

SONY PLEASE FIX THIS PROBLEM IMMEDIATELY AND UPDATE YOUR CUSTOMERS AS TO WHAT IS HAPPENING IN THE INTERIM. COMMUNICATION IS KEY!

15 REPLIES 15
rufenwi
Explorer

I too have this issue which started yesterday morning (20th July).  I have followed the update instructions to no avail and also tried via the CD firmware update but as previously mentioned it has now stuck in Download 5.

Amanda-Jade
Explorer

My parents are away this weekend and no doubt my dad has set his recorder to record his programmes, which have no doubt failed. My parents also are not technical minded and I know my dad would have taken the machine to a shop for repair or bought a new one.

So many people probably are not aware that it seems to be all sony recorders, not just theirs.

I'm confused how it can be the epg update as mentioned in the post below my original one, as my tv freeview is working fine, and I also updated the digital channels on that too, and it worked fine.

I do think Sony are to blame for the lack of communication as it appears to be their hardware which has suffered. Very bad PR on their part.
I do hope that they offer refunds to the people who went out and bought new recorders unnecessarily.
pewrigh38

its not ALL sony recorders, their samsung based DC range are ok, its the pioneer versions that have suffered. most of the uk equipmewnts seem to have handled this epg problem, including my sony and toshiba tv,s , but there are other makes besides sony that are affected so dont assume its just sony
Amanda-Jade
Explorer

Ha! This morning my recorder is now stuck on update again! If only they were fixing the problem!
Amanda-Jade
Explorer

It doesn't matter if its just sony or not. The whole point is, their hardware (whether some or all) is affected by this problem. They are an extremely large successful company who have the power and ability to issue a statement reassuring customers about what the issue is (whether epg etc) and when it is expected to be resolved.
They are still liable to explain this to consumers.
A brief statement issued on the Internet would reassure and put worried people's minds at rest.
It's still bad PR. Fact.
(I have a Sony tv and like I said previously that's fine, so the problem appears to have affected the recorders)
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi All,

before posting any further comments please read this thread

***RDR Stuck in Update or no Digital channels issue***

I have locked this thread in a hope that we can limit the number of thread so to avoid confusion & make it easier for users to find the latest information..