Join now - be part of our community!

Sony BDV-E780W vs DivX file support

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
PinkyR
Visitor

Sony BDV-E780W vs DivX file support

Is Sony likely to release an upgrade to allow DivX files to be supported by their BDV-E780W?

If not, is there a quick method of changing the video file format (other than re-compiling) to enable the media centre to play it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Catmambo
Contributor

Maybe this would work? http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/573805 Untested and unsupported by Sony etc, but maybe try it on one file..

Thanks

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi

I think page 75 of your manual details the file formats it supports. It supports xvid which is basically interchangable with divx so maybe there is an issue with the file?

thanks

PinkyR
Visitor

Thanks for your response Catmambo,

Sadly DivX isn't listed in the manual, nor does my 780W play anything encoded with the DivX codec.....I'm with you, ultimately it's all .avi so all Sony need to do is release a firmwear upgrade which includes DivX codec - I'm not going to hold my breath however!

Anyone else know a quick & easy way to fool a media streamer that a DivX encoded .avi is an XVid....without re-encoding the raft of files that I have?

Catmambo
Contributor

Maybe this would work? http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/573805 Untested and unsupported by Sony etc, but maybe try it on one file..

Thanks

PinkyR
Visitor

Many thanks again for the quick response...and your perseverence!!

I had previously seen the FourCC issue on other tech forum and tried AVI FourCC changer to no avail, having been put off by the 'default' settings of MP41, MP42,MP42, DIV4.

However, after you reply I decided to persevere (you did, so I should!!) and the problem was solved by typing "xvid" and "XVID" into the "Description Code" and "Used Codec" respective - voila!! it worked!

I now look forward to many happy hours changing my previous divX videos to Xvid - Mr Google is trying to find me a batch convertor as we speak!!

You are an absolute star, I hope that your excellent answer to my my dumb question has helped others.  A beer is in the post.

PR