Join now - be part of our community!

Sony DVP-SR760H USB Problem

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Darkriver1611
Visitor

Sony DVP-SR760H USB Problem

Just Bought the DVP-SR760H upscaling DVD player with USB,  Could anyone tell me what video format the USB on this device will play, have a 16gb flash drive and won't play AVI  or MPeg4 movies .... Please Help

P.s It Does reconise the movie file on the the flash drive but cannot play it, Any advice would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
King.Bob
Visitor

Hi darkriver,

I guess by now you have sorted out your USB problem, but if not, I have just bought this DVD player and I have been able to play AVI, MPEG 1&2, the ordinary DVD discs that all players can play. As you probably know, it will not play MP4, WMA, MKV etc. Just make sure your USB Stick is FAT32 formated.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
King.Bob
Visitor

Hi darkriver,

I guess by now you have sorted out your USB problem, but if not, I have just bought this DVD player and I have been able to play AVI, MPEG 1&2, the ordinary DVD discs that all players can play. As you probably know, it will not play MP4, WMA, MKV etc. Just make sure your USB Stick is FAT32 formated.

I am having the same problem. Can hear audio, but message telling me video can not be played.

The video I am trying to play is in MP4 which page 10 of instruction book tells me is supported.

Has anybody got a straight forward understandable answer in plain English?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

According to page 10 of the manual:

MP4.jpg

Even though MP4 is supported - MP4 is what is called a container.  Inside the container MP4 is the audio and video codecs as well as misc data. 

See : HERE for what that means.

So basically what is happening is that the MP4 is supported and is playing back a supported audio codec, the video codec inside the MP4 file is not supported therefore you are getting sound but no video.

What you will need to do, is convert the MP4 file to support a video codec that the SR760H supports.

MP4 2.jpg

Hope that explains things.

Cheers

mutineer
Explorer

I have tried to ask this question on the support site 3 times but none of my messages have been acknowledged  (site is broken?).   Good news: I think your thread here has the answer, thanks!, even though it's a disappointing one.  NO MP4 video, despite the box, manual headlines and in-store staff all saying it IS supported..

I have been trying to pay mp4 (mpeg4) files on from a usb stick in FAT format. The files appear, but when attempting to play them the message "the current video format is not supported by this player" appears. The files play well on other devices and programs such as VLC player. I note that in the small print in the manual it also says that "The player cannot play a video file of size more than 720 (width) × 576 (height)/2 GB." Is this true?

Is there a software update that allows this to be done? I cannot find any on the Sony support site. If there is no solution to this, the product is not much use to me. Looking forward to any replies!

If it needs to be recoded, that is a pain, but I need to know how to do that.  What is MPG4 (simple profile) / Xvid? Can Sony provide a suitable transcoder or specify settings that will work on say ffmpeg?  I use Ubuntu 14.04.

Otherwise I will have to return it to store, unfortunately.

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

@mutineer 

How long have you owned this device for?

If the shop staff told you that it would play MP4's and you later find out that it doesn't you can claim a refund under the terms of the Sales of Goods Act 1979. The law makes it quite clear that if a shop tells you a device does something which it doesn't they are acting illegally.

Here's what the law says in brief, the bit in red is most important in your case.

As well as being fit for their normal purpose goods must also be fit for any specific purpose that the seller told you they would be fit for. The law which gives you this right is called the Sale of Goods Act 1979.

This right only applies when you buy something from a business, not from a private seller.

Worth a shot, full details here:

What is meant by goods not fit for purpose

If you can remember the sales guy's name go back to the store and pretend you're a new customer and ask the same question again, try recording the conversation on your phone or take a witness. Once he's told you that it can play MP4's hit him with the obvious question.., Can I have a refund because you made a false claim?

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
mutineer
Explorer

@MKSlinky 

Thanks - only a couple of weeks since purchased -and I have the box and packing - yes I know there's a good case under the sale of goods act and I'm sure the store will be happy to refund me and exchange it for something that works.

But instead of that hassle, I guess I would rather know the ffmpeg settings that will make it work - surely there is someone at Sony who could look it up properly and test it?  All I'm looking for is the settings that will give video quality as good as HD / DVD playback from the files I have.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mutineer 

Hi there

First and foremost, did you buy this DVD player primarily to use as a DVD player or a DLNA / USB Player.  If you are indeed using it primarily for the latter, my advice is to take it back and purchase the right tool for the job (ie a Media Player).

If you are using it mainly for DVDs and just a handful of media files, then thats ok.  You will not get proper HD quality for simple profile MP4's.  This is because the simple profile basically gets rid of all the features of MP4s and also hobbles the bitrate of the file too.  In essense the DVD player does not have the processing ability to play high/er bitrate files (which you would expect for HD quality).  Think of older mobile phone quality.

What you need to do is use the codec of Xvid and the container as MP4.  I found this : http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/366475-How-To-Convert-Mp4-File-to-MPEG4-Simple-Profile

Cheers

mutineer
Explorer

@Anonymous 

Thanks,

Yes, it sounds like this will never work properly, I want both, and the same quality.  The best solution would seem to be to use an old laptop plugged into the telly and play DVD's or files using that.

Thanks for the link - it's for windows software, but it does suggest that you need to create an avi file with xvid rather than a MPEG-4.  I have also got something to play by using ffmpeg to convert to MPEG-2, but the quality was poor - blocky - and it took a long time to transcode.

I'll return it.

Regards,

Nick

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

If you want a 'better' solution, and reasonably cheap too, I would probably purchase the BDP-S1200 bluray player instead (it still does DVDs), and supports a bigger range of file formats and codecs (see page 39, of the manual : HERE).  Amazon sells it for £49

If you want the best solution (which will cost money), you will need a dedicated Media Player.  I have one, and now never use DVD's/Blurays.  I rip them all to HDD's and play my movies from the media player.  Maybe im lazy in not putting DVD's/blurays back in their cases :slight_smile:

Cheers