Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Entertainment Network (SEN) - Obsolete on Some Devices

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Sony Entertainment Network (SEN) - Obsolete on Some Devices

This is a breakaway thread from my earlier vTuner post which I hope will get better exposure here. Hopefully someone from Sony will see this and realise that the vTuner issue is now having a knock-on effect rendering other features of our devices inoperable.

For owners of the Sony STR-DN1040 Receiver (other models may apply) you will likely know that since the vTuner issue arose earlier this summer our SEN button on the remote control has now become obsolete for some owners and worthless to others.

Here in the UK we have just two SEN services, 'vTuner' & 'Music Unlimited'. However since the later is a premium service costing £9.99 p/month it is way too expensive for some. Likewise the suspension of vTuner has rendered my SEN button pretty much worthless either way.

However, those customers living in other parts of the world and who only have the one SEN service 'vTuner',  will now know that SEN button is now completely obsolete on your device.

As the SEN service was an advertised feature on our devices and no longer works I am therefore appealing to Sony via this post to compensate customers for the loss of the vTuner / SEN service and to provide free access to Music Unlimited on all STR-DN1040 models worldwide.

If you have a different model and can no longer access any services on SEN please update this post accordingly.

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
36 REPLIES 36
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

@Quinnicus wrote:

Hi @MK_Slinky 

In regards to your STR-DN1040 and SEN, Sony Engineers cannot replicate the problem on their end.  The SEN Services are operational.  Therefore its likely to be an issue with your equipment, most likely network issue. 

Can you please confirm that your network settings are correct on the DN1040 - even resetting the network settings and redoing them.  It has also been suggested that if possible, test out your DN1040 at another location (ie a friends internet connection).

Hopefully this helps (somehow).

Cheers

Hi there,

Well I wasn't expecting that! I checked my Network connection and all appeared normal and my network was still showing as connected but alas I still could not access SEN services. However I followed your advice to reestablish a wireless connection and this time SEN is working! Forgive me if I'm wrong but I thought my receiver was supposed to check the connection each time it starts up? Maybe I'm wrong?

The only thing I disagree with is that SEN services are operational but that's not entirely accurate! vTuner which is part of SEN is still not working correctly and since I last reported about this issue almost all stations no longer play. So yes it's operational kind of, but since the other feature is a subscription service the SEN feature is still a worthless dinosaur. I certainly won't be subscribing to any Sony services in the near future, especially as they can be withdrawn without notice.

I can only hope that Sony will give me a replacement service instead of the unreliable vTuner. I think most of us would be happy if they did that.

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
gmclauch
Explorer

Hi,

I have activated the following devices on my SEN account -

PSP - downloaded some purchased movies to SD card
PS3 - downloaded some purchased movies to internal HDD
PS4 - streamed purchased movies from cloud using Video Unlimited app
PS Vita - only used for gaming
Xperia D3 Smartphone - downloaded some purchased movies to SD card
Playstation TV - only used for gaming
Bravia TV KDL32W705B - product registered / activated on SEN, purchased movies not appearing in Media Library of Video Unlimited app, rental option only
Blu-Ray BDPS5200 - same as Bravia TV

All devices linked to same SEN account and use same Virgin Superhub 2 wifi network.

This must be an account problem as it affects more than one device.

Playstation support took my MAC address and escalated to Sony head office on Friday.

I had problems with Roku/Now TV boxes since switching to the new Virgin router. I had to locate a hidden screen to block 'pings' before they would successfully connect to wifi. The TV and blu-Ray have connected successfully to wifi so I think I can rule that out.

Getting back to the account, I have purchased Guardians of the Galaxy through the store and managed to stream on PS4. However, the movie doesn't seems to be recognised as a purchase in the store. I can add it to my basket again so I think there is a problem with the account.

Any ideas? Thanks again

Sent from my iPad
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

@gmclauch 

Hi there,

Sorry to hear your still experiencing issues with SEN. Unfortunately my advice is limited to what I originally mentioned previously. Personally I've never made any purchases from the SEN store so cannot advise further.

Hopefully however Sony Support will be able to resolve this issue for you very soon.

As a side note, I wonder if a Google search might help you. It's annoying because I'm sure I read about this issue somewhere else recently and I think what solved that problem was to un-register the device and re-add it again. I understand you might not want to do that and I I wouldn't suggest you do without first checking what impact this might have.

Wishing you a speedy resolution anyway!

gmclauch
Explorer

Thanks for your reply.

Sony support already got me to unregister/register the TV.

There isn't much on this subject on Google.

Probably need to leave this with Sony support.

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

@gmclauch 

Yes I'm sure Sony Support will try to sort this out for you. I'm releived at least that I hadn't imagined reading the bit about un-registering the device!

Be lucky!

Pistabacsi

Don't hold your breath on getting help from sony support.

They are slightly worse than useless

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Fortunately Support have now contacted me on this issue and are currently investigating. Fingers crossed!