Join now - be part of our community!

STR-DN850 and 7.1-channel speaker system using front high speakers

SOLVED
mmaatt
Explorer

STR-DN850 and 7.1-channel speaker system using front high speakers

Hi, I have 5/2.1 speakers, two are front high. And I'm confused.  Which sound field must select for what Sony say : You can enjoy vertical sound effects by connecting an additional two front high speakers. ?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

@mmaatt 

Hi there,

Thank for reporting back! Yes I agree your manual seems to have overlooked mentioning which Sound Field setting to use with the Front High speakers.

I'm pleased you have now discovered that HD-D.C.S does work for you, no doubt other's will find this solution useful.

Please mark this post as 'Accepted Solution' if you are happy with my reply.

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Join the club, I have front height running on my STR-DN1040.

Most sound field settings on my STR-DN1040 allow the front height speakers to work though yours differ slightly. Don't expect it to sound like Dolby Atmos though, it just adds a little more spatial presence to the listening experience.

According to your manual you need to select PLIIx Movie

PLIIx Movie:
Performs Dolby Pro Logic IIx Movie mode decoding. This setting expands Dolby Pro Logic II Movie or Dolby Digital 5.1 to 7.1 discrete movie channels.

With the front height speakers attached, if you find that the dialogue from your centre speaker sounds a little too low, you can utilize the 'Centre Speaker Lift up' feature. Normally this feature is greyed out and only becomes available when you attach the front height speakers.

Center Speaker Lift Up - See instructions for using this feature here
By using the front high speakers, you can lift up the sounds of the center speaker to an appropriate height on the screen, allowing you to enjoy natural representation without discomfort.
The adjustments are between '1 – 10' but it's not clear if this is feet or inches.

For my own setup I find setting the centre speaker lift up to 10 is about right, though this may not be necessary for you, it's an optional feature that you may or maynot use.

Note: If after testing the above settings you are not getting any sound from the height speakers make sure you have changed this setting so that the graphical display matches that of your speaker setup.

7.1 Speaker Pattern (as shown on STR-DN1040 with Front High attached - your receiver may differ)!

DSCF0925.JPG

Instructions for setting the speaker pattern can be found in the on-line manual here:

Selecting the speaker pattern and setting the assignment for the speaker terminals (Speaker Connecti...

If my reply answers your question, please click the 'Accepted Solution' button below this post. Thanks

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
mmaatt
Explorer

Thank you for answer. Model 1050 and my 850 dont have PLIIz movie, I  only  have PLIIx , but this mode is for 7,1speaker where is speakers back not front high. Then I have PLII, HD-D.C.S and Neo:6 Cinema. My speaker  Pattern 7.1 is some like yours 5/2.1. With this pattern I don't get PLIIx, beacouse this mode is for speaker rear. I too send a email to Sony but I don't get any good information.

mat

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

I don't think you read my last post correctly.., I did say that your 850 does have PLIIx.

PLIIx only becomes active as a choice if you have you speakers connected exactly as shown in the above image.

So your speakers should be connected as follows:-

• Left Front
  • Centre
  • Right Front
  • Left Surround (Shown in blue below)
  • Right Surround (Shown in blue below)
  • Left Front High (shown in red below)
  • Right Front High (shown in red below)
  • SUB

If you look at the image below of your STR-DN850 you will see that it does have Front High connections. You must make sure that your Front High speakers are connected to them.

str-dn850 rear.jpg

Looking at this list below you need to check that you have correctly set the following

You can select the speaker pattern and set the assignment for the SPEAKERS SURROUND BACK/BI-AMP/FRONT HIGH/FRONT B terminals.

1. Select [Settings] - [Speaker Settings] from the home menu.

2. Select [Speaker Connection].

3. Select the speaker pattern you want.

4. Set [SB Speaker Assign] to Front High (This is how you must set yours)!!

mmaatt
Explorer

I'm sorry or I do something wrong or we do not understand each other's. I have correct chosen speaker high and when I have this patern 5/2,1 I don't have a choise for PLIIx. If I chose 4/3,1 patern I can, but thisi is for  two rear speakers.

Are you se this in manual together :

PLIIx Movie:
Performs Dolby Pro Logic IIx Movie mode decoding. This setting expands Dolby Pro Logic II Movie or Dolby Digital 5.1 to 7.1 discrete movie channels.

With the front height speakers attached, if you find that the dialogue from your centre speaker sounds a little too low, you can utilize the 'Centre Speaker Lift up' feature. Normally this feature is greyed out and only becomes available when you attach the front height speakers.

I find myself this two in two different parts and different meaning if you read correctly.

Thanks.

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

This following paragraph is in your manual on page :- 344

PLIIx Movie:

The next bit I wrote myself just in case you need that information. It is also in your manual on page 193

Please note that according to your manual on page 128 it states the following....

[PLIIx Movie] or [PLIIx Music] may not appear, depending on the speaker pattern you select.

It could be that your receiver does not work the same as mine, for instance on mine PLIIz & PLIIx can both be used for adding front height effects. Your manual makes no mention of using a specific sound field when using the front high speakers so it could be that they work with most sound fields the same as mine do.

OK, lets try to do some testing, please answer the following two questions as it might help understand what is happening...

1.  Can you confirm if you are hearing any sound from the front high speakers?
  2.  If you can hear sound coming from your froont high speakers which sound fields produce sound and which ones don't?

mmaatt
Explorer

I read user manuals few times and nowhere write which sound field is for high speakers.

But I listened your advice and hearing the speaker set where I hear the high speakers.

In movie mode only in HD-D.C.S

Neo:6, PLII dont have any sound and PLIIx don't even show when I have 5/2,1 speakers.

I think my 850 work with high speakers only with HD-D.C.S movie mode.

Tkank you.

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

@mmaatt 

Hi there,

Thank for reporting back! Yes I agree your manual seems to have overlooked mentioning which Sound Field setting to use with the Front High speakers.

I'm pleased you have now discovered that HD-D.C.S does work for you, no doubt other's will find this solution useful.

Please mark this post as 'Accepted Solution' if you are happy with my reply.

mmaatt
Explorer

Thank you. On manual must Sony do some work. :wink:

I find this for other model :

All that power and quality amplification would be wasted if feed by inferior processing but, fortunately, the Sony has the very best. In addition to all the digital processors you'd expect, the Sony adds a few very special ones of its own. Chief amongst these is HD Digital Cinema Sound (HD DCS). By using the Front High speakers of the Sony's multi-channel array a true 'wall of sound' is created for incredible realism.

Thanks