Join now - be part of our community!

3D Glasses Filter

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Jonobiwan
New

3D Glasses Filter

Hi there,

Not sure if there are any Sony mods/reps seeing this but I was wondering if you can tell me how I go about getting hold of some 3D Glasses filters as I'm having an issue with flicker. I've got the TDG-BR250 glasses along with a KDL 46EX723.

Is there any chance of getting hold of some fitlers here? If so is it possible for 2 sets and how much do they cost?

Thanks - J

113 REPLIES 113
profile.country.GB.title
cooper363
New

Hi all, thought I would shed some light on these filters and what they are for. Ok the filters are for one purpose only and that is to reduce screen flicker nothing else, I had some sent to me today to help or as I thought to reduce ghosting butnthis is not the case. After a bit of web crawling I finally found the issue with our tv's and ghosting issues. simply our tv and glasses just are not in sync and so we are seeing a remainder of the opposite image in our opposite eyes, also known as crosstalk.To be honest I have been out and looked at a lot of other makes and none of these tv's suffer anything like ours! I have had my tv for just over 3 weeks and I just cant stand to look at anything 3D, From PS3  games to blu rays they all look horrendous in the background  and up front where things should be popping out of your tv's. A funny thing to note is that our tv panels where made by Samsung not Sony and just this week Sony have ended this relationship with Samsung costing Sony £millions in losses? do Sony know something we should also know? that theese panels are just not good! my question to a moderator on here is why are we being sold Tv's  that are not capable of doing what they are designed to do and what are they going to do about it?

Bravia55HX

cooper363,

thats not entirely correct that Samsung made the panels for Sony because they both went in on a joint venture and formed a separate facility called S-LCD, link below

http://www.whathifi.com/news/japan-sonys-sluggish-tv-business-drags-down-quarterly-financials-will-i...

profile.country.GB.title
cooper363
New

You are correct on that bit of the story but manufacture was done by Samsung, Sony could  not afford to make led on their own as it would make them more expensive  at retail, a joint venture seemed a good idea!  I own a lot of sony products over 20 years and this nx723 is the worst I have ever owned, you cant make a tv that is said to have 3D better than any other out there when this is not the case. I really dont want to be on here having a moan but I am just discusted with this tvs ability to do 3D. it's  just not on and know I am faced with having to go back the Sonycentre I purchased this tv from and argue for an exchange till I get a tv that can do 3D without serious ghosting.

profile.country.GB.title
icon_boy
Explorer

Hi Thalamus,

I've  just purchased two pairs of  Sony TDG-BR250 to complement my Sony  HX823, All is well and the 3D effect is amazing, However when I’m laying  down on the sofa, the 3D effect seems to become disrupted.

Would you be able to send out 2 pairs of the filters - I’ve been told, this improves the 3D effect.

Please Private message me?

Bravia55HX

it wont matter whether your lying down or tilting your head in that fashion if you put the filters on, the result will pretty much be the same!

DeViL303
Visitor

Im not liking what ive seen in this thread, I have a Bravia kdl 46 hx823 and havnt even purchased 3D glasses for it yet, This seems to be a big problem with different models effected, I dont feel like spending hundreds on glasses for the family to be told in a few weeks or months that now the TDG-BR3000 glasses are out and the problem is solved, is this an issue with the glasses or screens like previously mentioned ? (made by samsung, uugghh?!! We had 2 samsung TVs die just after warranty expired and I would not have purchased a bravia if I had known this before?)

I think the whole point of the "Active 3D glasses" is that they are 100% in sync with the TV, if the glasses are allowing cross talk then obviously the emitter/shutter system isnt doing its job as advertised?

:slight_frown:

I also dont see how tilting our heads should make any difference, if one eye is effectivly closed when the frame for the other eye is being shown, tilting ones head in real life does not effect depth perception at all and it should be similar in this case or maybe technology isnt is good as its advertised to be as is the case sometimes.

What is the technology behind these "filters"? sounds to me like something stuck on over the glasses that blocks out more light and therefore hides this problem?

I can certainly see why Sony is being so nice and giving these out for free if this is the case, Its a bit like saying, "put sun glasses on over your 3D glasses and you wont see the defects in our tvs, hey here is a free sticker for your glasses as we dont want you to complain too much about this problem!" or maybe im wrong.

Message was edited by: DeViL303

Message was edited by: DeViL303

kaptainklumpy
Visitor

First post so Hello all !!

icon_boy, We Appear to be in the minority here. I have just bought the same TV and glasses and feel the 3d is very good.

I have switched off all the image processing and motion sensors, then adjusted contrast, brightness etc to my liking. Also tend to watch 3D with curtains drawn to stop reflections.

The only issue i have is the head tilt. Which i will ask Thalamus if he could kindly PM me the link to the filters.

Dont know if this may contribute but i watch 3D via my PS3.

kaptainklumpy
Visitor

Hi Thalamus,

Could you please PM me the link for the filters.

To see if they improve the head tilt issue.

Thanks

JonathanK
Visitor

Hi Thalamus from me too.

I wonder if you could advise on how to obtain the filters too?

I have 2 x BR50 and 1 x BR100.

Many thanks in advance.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi all,

No need to send further PM's instead please see the information below..

The following list from Sony is designed to help determine the reason why the picture may not appear in focus or the picture appears with double images ( ghosting ) or there are outlines around the subject when viewing 3D content..

IMPORTANT :

Before proceeding please make sure that the 3DTV and related products are set up and connected correctly.

Because each of the three steps below represents a possible solution to this issue, please check the status of the 3D picture after completing each step.

Please check each of the following steps before moving to the next:

Step 1:

The TV and the 3D product will need several minutes to stabilize when they are first  turned on. Wait a few minutes for the products to synchronize and the 3D image will appear correctly.

Step 2:

To get the correct 3D depth and prevent the double image effect, your head should be level,  eyes need to be even with the horizontal plane, same as the TV set. The  visible light coming from the TV picture is polarized. The 3D Shutter Glasses work together with this polarized light from the TV to produce the 3D picture. 3D is best viewed with your head and eyes level and positioned as near to the horizontal centre line of the screen as possible.

Step 3: ( Most common successful solution )

Change the 3D glasses brightness setting to MEDIUM or LOW. The 3D glasses brightness adjustment can be accessed from the TV OPTIONS menu and the default setting from the factory is set to AUTO. The 3D glasses brightness setting adjusts brightness as seen through the 3D glasses by controlling a combination of the 3D glasses shutter and the panel back light level.

Step 4:

If none of the three steps above resolve your problem, Sony can offer a pair of optional polarizer filters that can be fitted and inserted over the existing lenses in the Sony 3D glasses, these filters may resolve your problem. They will reduce the double image noticed  with the head tilt. They will however make the picture slightly darker,  and some home lightning could appear to flicker when viewed through the glasses. These filters are non-permanent and are easy to install and remove.

Obtain Anti Distortion Filters:

Please contact our Customer Information Centre on 08448466555 for more information and quote KB1155 when talking to an agent..