Join now - be part of our community!

3D operation with Component feed

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
jimtellycon
Explorer

3D operation with Component feed

Hi

I have a KDL 46HX823 connected to my Sky box via Component. The TV system will give 3D when connected with HDMI so the system is good. For my system HDMI is not an option for other reasons.

When connected using Component I get a side by side picture but only get OFF or Simulated 3D on the 3D button. So unable to get 3D. It has been confirmed by Sony that 3D should work using Component. Are there TV settings I could make or are there any other options.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Lets clear this up once and for all, as I have been doing a bit of research on this for you.

Component cables - They are coloured Green/Blue/Red. They can support HD signal at a maximum resolution of 1080i. The 3 colours are for Video only, and require another cable for audio. There is a lot of confusion on 3D signal. Some sites say it can support it, other site say no.

Composite Cables - They are coloured Yellow/Red/White. The can only support Standard Definition. And definately not 3D. The Red and White cable are for Audio (left and right). The Yellow cable is for video. There is not enough bandwidth to support higher than.

So, you said you have linked your Sky box via component. Can you confirm that it is infact component or composite.

Dont worry, I still get mixed up on the terminology of component/composite. Mainly because they both have the RCA connectors.

1 - If you are using Composite cables, change these to Component cables (if you can), If you cant, well..HDMI is your only answer.

2 - If you are infact using the Component cable, and it doesnt work. Well....You have your answer then, as you yourself said that 3D works fine over HDMI.

3D on Sony TV's - It basically works or it doesnt. There is very little settings that a person can change. .

I hope that clears things up, and helps you in any way.

Cheers

Message was edited by: Quinnicus

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Lets clear this up once and for all, as I have been doing a bit of research on this for you.

Component cables - They are coloured Green/Blue/Red. They can support HD signal at a maximum resolution of 1080i. The 3 colours are for Video only, and require another cable for audio. There is a lot of confusion on 3D signal. Some sites say it can support it, other site say no.

Composite Cables - They are coloured Yellow/Red/White. The can only support Standard Definition. And definately not 3D. The Red and White cable are for Audio (left and right). The Yellow cable is for video. There is not enough bandwidth to support higher than.

So, you said you have linked your Sky box via component. Can you confirm that it is infact component or composite.

Dont worry, I still get mixed up on the terminology of component/composite. Mainly because they both have the RCA connectors.

1 - If you are using Composite cables, change these to Component cables (if you can), If you cant, well..HDMI is your only answer.

2 - If you are infact using the Component cable, and it doesnt work. Well....You have your answer then, as you yourself said that 3D works fine over HDMI.

3D on Sony TV's - It basically works or it doesnt. There is very little settings that a person can change. .

I hope that clears things up, and helps you in any way.

Cheers

Message was edited by: Quinnicus