Join now - be part of our community!

Auto dimming

profile.country.fi_FI.title
verbato
Visitor

Auto dimming

I bought Sony Bravia KDL-32EX302 -television couple of months ago.

It has one very disturbing property called auto dimming. In dark scenes (happens often on black & white -movies) it makes the brighter parts of the screen darker.

The manual says:
"• Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Automatically adjusts “Backlight” and “Contrast” to the most suitable settings judging from the brightness of the screen. This setting is especially effective for dark images scenes, and will increase the contrast distinction of the darker picture scenes."

Sounds good but the television does totally opposite.

I have turned ACE off, no help.

I have done many Google searches (keywords sony bravia auto dimming) and found out that for some models Sony has released a fix (firmware update) to correct this problem, but not for all models. I have also found out, that for some models the auto dimming can be disabled with a suitable combination of settings.

I also upgraded the firmware to M8.728, no help.

Has anyone found a way to disable auto dimming on this model?

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
johnnyd57uk
Explorer

Auto Dimming is a nightmare and should be considered a fault rather than a feature. Whoever dreamt it up should be ........(unprintable). It drives me crazy. Visitors alwys ask "whats wrong with you TV". Light/dark.....light/dark....light/dark. What were they thinking. Wonder if these sets could be returned under "faulty" or "not fit for purpose". Fantastic TV otherwise

profile.country.GB.title
Screenreader76
New

Hello World😂

I have a KDL-55W807C tv and had the Same insane light/dark behaviour.

After changing my setting (German Bild modus) Picture Mode From Standart/Default to any Other mode, it is gone and behaves as it should. 

I Hope you Feel the Same Relife. Have fun 😎