Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia KDL-40W4000 Unsupported audio signal

SOLVED
533saw5
Explorer

Bravia KDL-40W4000 Unsupported audio signal

First of all I will explain how my system is setup:

Windows 7 media center PC with Freesat and freeview cards installed connected to TV via HDMI

PC connected to Sony STR-K880 AV receiver via optical cable which is outputting the sound for the TV

I am constantly getting "Unsupported audio signal Check your device output" popup on my screen even though the sound is working perfectly fine.  This setup has been working perfectly fine for around 2 years without any error messages come up at all.  No amount of googling has come up with a resolution for this and I am now at a loose end and am even considering replacing the TV because of how annoying it is.

Today I swapped the HDMI lead for an HDMI to DVI lead to as to make it impossible for the TV to try to putput the sound but it hasnt made any difference.

Can anybody offer some advice on some other things I can try ?

Many thanks in advance

Gary

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Check the output audio settings on the W7MC and ensure that audio is disabled for HDMI.

Something somewhere is sending a signal to the TV or at least though it.  The only thing connected to the TV is the HDMI cable from the PC.

Its conceivable that audio is also being outputted over that HDMI connection, then cancelled out, but you are also sending out a secondary audio signal via optical to AMP.  Hence, checking the HDMI output settings on the PC itself.

View solution in original post

533saw5
Explorer

I went in to the Nvidia control panel for the graphics card and disabled the audio on the card.  Problem solved !

Thank you so much for the tip !

Gary

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Does this help you in anyway?

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/41238/c/65,66/p/61659,62766,63010/

Different TV, but similar.

Cheers.

533saw5
Explorer

Thanks for the reply.  The device that is outputting the audio is a PC and it is outputting its audio straight to the AV receiver.  The way my setup is configured there should be no audio being past to the TV at all

Anonymous
Not applicable

Check the output audio settings on the W7MC and ensure that audio is disabled for HDMI.

Something somewhere is sending a signal to the TV or at least though it.  The only thing connected to the TV is the HDMI cable from the PC.

Its conceivable that audio is also being outputted over that HDMI connection, then cancelled out, but you are also sending out a secondary audio signal via optical to AMP.  Hence, checking the HDMI output settings on the PC itself.

533saw5
Explorer

I went in to the Nvidia control panel for the graphics card and disabled the audio on the card.  Problem solved !

Thank you so much for the tip !

Gary

profile.country.GB.title
Mick_D

Great stuff Gary :cool:

Thanks for the update.

Anonymous
Not applicable

No problems, Im glad it worked.  Your description of your 'setup' makes things far easier, spot on :slight_smile:

533saw5
Explorer

The issue has come back and I haven't changed anything 😞

I have now updated both the graphics card and audio drivers to latest versions and it still hasn't made any difference.  The audio on the graphics card is still set to off.

Anybody have anymore ideas of things I can try please ?

Thanks in advance

Gary

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

It seems Audio is still being outputted to the TV still. 

Ensure that Audio is disabled in windows too, and not just the Nvidia's Control panel.

1. Ensure HDMI Cable is connected
  2. Goto Control Panel > Audio
  3. Select Sony TV and click properties
  4. Select Disable

As per screenshot below:

Disable HDMI Audio OUT.jpg

533saw5
Explorer

Sony TV does not show in there, all that is there is the 2 Realtek devices, one is speakers which says not plugged in and the other is the digital output which is the default device (the optical out from PC to amp)