Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia KDL-40W4000 Unsupported audio signal

SOLVED
533saw5
Explorer

Bravia KDL-40W4000 Unsupported audio signal

First of all I will explain how my system is setup:

Windows 7 media center PC with Freesat and freeview cards installed connected to TV via HDMI

PC connected to Sony STR-K880 AV receiver via optical cable which is outputting the sound for the TV

I am constantly getting "Unsupported audio signal Check your device output" popup on my screen even though the sound is working perfectly fine.  This setup has been working perfectly fine for around 2 years without any error messages come up at all.  No amount of googling has come up with a resolution for this and I am now at a loose end and am even considering replacing the TV because of how annoying it is.

Today I swapped the HDMI lead for an HDMI to DVI lead to as to make it impossible for the TV to try to putput the sound but it hasnt made any difference.

Can anybody offer some advice on some other things I can try ?

Many thanks in advance

Gary

17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have the HDMI connected, it looks as though its disabled.  To confirm this, right-click a blank spot in the sound settings (from control panel) and enable "show disabled devices".

Unfortunately, at this time, im out of idea's im afraid.

533saw5
Explorer

Show disabled devices is ticked and it still isn't there, don't forget I am currently connecting the TV to the PC with an HDMI to DVI lead so there should be no audio output going to the TV.

Anonymous
Not applicable

BINGO - forgot HDMI to DVI

From what ive been reading (last time you had this problem) many graphics cards are now supporting audio over DVI (Nvidia 200 series?)

From Wikipedia Link:

"To promote interoperability between DVI-D and HDMI devices, HDMI source components and displays support DVI-D signalling. For example, a 1080p HDMI display can be driven by a single-link DVI-D source - since HDMI and DVI-D both define an overlapping minimum set of supported resolutions and frame buffer formats. So, DVI-D devices output HDMI signals, many including audio, (examples: ATI 3000-series and NVIDIA GTX 200-series video cards),[9] and some multimedia displays input that HDMI signal, including audio, by using a DVI to HDMI adapter. Exact capabilities vary by video card specifications."

Nvidia:

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2562

533saw5
Explorer

Thanks for this but all that link says to do is to disable audio in the nvidia control panel which I have already done 😞

Anonymous
Not applicable

yeah, you did say that.

umm.  my only suggestion is to try re-adding the HDMI to HDMI cable back again.  Re-do settings and try again. 

I just cant think of any other reasons on why you would get that message on the TV, other than an unsupported audio codec being send from PC to TV.

533saw5
Explorer

Will give that a try, thanks mate

533saw5
Explorer

So far so good, let's hope it sticks this time, thanks for the help as usual :slight_smile:

Anonymous
Not applicable

So far so good then.  No probs by the way.

I have my fingers, toes and hands crossed for ya :slight_smile: