Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia TV not playing movies from USB flash drive

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
DollFin
Explorer

Bravia TV not playing movies from USB flash drive

Hi everyone. I downloaded a movie to my PC, where I started to play it in order to check that it was ok, which it was.
I then copied it from PC to 32 GB USB flash drive/ memory stick. Again,It worked when I started to play it on the PC. I then plugged the flash drive into the USB port on my Sony Bravia KDL32EX503 TV.
A message appeared on the screen to say that the flash drive had been inserted, but nothing happened after that.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks in advance for any help.

26 REPLIES 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

If the exact same files worked before, it stands to reason that it should still work again.  Unfortunately you have not mentioned your TV model, but check to see if you are on the latest firmware.  If so, turn the TV off completely from the wall and leave off for 2 minutes, then test.  If that fails, do a factory reset of the TV, as this can cure any issues.

Cheers

adinadig
Explorer

I have Sony Bravia KDL-32W670A.

I used to play music and movies from external hard disks. But now, none of those movie or music files are working in this TV. I cross checked the status of my hard disk in another TV, where it worked without any issues. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I know this is drastic, but please do a factory reset of your TV.  This can clear any 'gremlins' or issues.  If you have any customised picture sertings etc, you may want to write them down before hand, as this will be cleared too.

Cheers

adinadig
Explorer

Thank you. I hadn't changed any of the orginal settings. Even did factory reset once, but that did not work. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Can you confirm that the video files that you are trying to play conform to the supported codecs:

http://www.sony-asia.com/microsite/bravia_i-manuals/FY13/EXW670/GB/codeclist.html#section03

Also, when you try to play them, what happens?  Do you get an error message?  Can you actually see the files on the drive whilst its connected to the tv or does it come up blank - as in no files at all?

Also, which country are you located in?

Cheers

adinadig
Explorer

for the last 1.5 years it was playing all supporting movie formats. Suddenly it stopped doing that. I can see all files in the folder. The moment I try to open them, TV hangs (just like the way Windows does). 

I tested my USB stick and external hard drive on other Sony TVs, where they worked perfectly.

Tomo_Vk
New

Same proble here! The files which has been played normaly few days ago, can't be played any more. I have tryed different USB device, but no luck. Same problem with video and music files... 😕

aureisumus
Explorer

hello how can l register my flash drive so l can use playback on record?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @aureisumus

In order to help you and answer your question, I need more information.  Information such as:

• Model of TV
  • Size of USB drive
  • Is this to record from the TV (and then playbacl) - or just playback media files?

Cheers

Hello,

I don't know how to play my videos (mpeg/mpg/mp4/avi) in my brand new Sony tv KD65x7500D through my 500gb external hard drive plugged with its own power source. 

When I plug everything, nothing pops up saying it has recognized my hard drive..  I tried plugging a usb stick, it still won't play.  From the input source menu, choices showing are only HDMI1,2,3 or AV... no option to watch or view  my USB.  When I click on Home from the remote controller, I scroll down to click video... then my USB stick or external hard drive is not visible either.

Is there anything I might have missed out doing in order for my drives to be seen and in order for me to watch movies or view files from the drives?

Thanks in advance!

Ken