Join now - be part of our community!

Connecting a VCR to Sony KDL-32EX723 TV

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
terry_nyorks
Visitor

Connecting a VCR to Sony KDL-32EX723 TV

I have recently purchased the above, and connected our (analogue) Philips VCR to the TV via Scart plug, in exactly the same way as the previous TV. I can play back, and record in immediate mode (i.e. with TV on the correct station), but cannot program the TV so as to be pre-prepared ready on the correct program channel & times.

However, if I try to record by programming the TV in advance to the item, the TV insists on wanting to record to USB HDD only. How do I change the settings so it will recognise the Scart connected TV recorder.

Searching this site "Connecting a VCR to Sony KDL-32EX723 TV" doesn't look promising, Is this the same on a different model.

Message was edited by: terry_nyorks

Message was edited by: terry_nyorks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bravia55HX

ok, well its possible that both your philips devices worked that way before, im not convinced however it will do it now, its been a very long time since i owned a vcr,

back to the HDD, when using this function its simple you record to the HDD and playback recorded content like you would have with a vcr, its not a case of "download and copy to dvd" it does not work like that.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Bravia55HX

Hi,

your problem, i believe is down to the VCR 's inability to record digital freeview transmissions, dated vcr recorders now only have analogue tuners in so therefore useless.

the other thing your trying to do, record by programming the tv in advance, sounds like you believe the tv can send it to the vcr, it cannot, thats why the tv wants to to connect a USB HDD.

terry_nyorks
Visitor

Sorry, I have to beg to differ.

(Using the VCR's AV1 setting) I can successfully record off whatever the TV is playing, so it has just recorded as a test from the Freeview HD equipped Film 4 - not an HD transmission - quite successfully. It did NOT record from its own internal Tv receiver (as I manually changed channel on the TV during the recording to prove that).

So it seems the programming of the Bravia does not want to recognise a valid external VCR.

On the previous TV (Philips) you could set the TV to switch to a program at an appointed time, and again another channel later. The VCr then picked up the signal from the TV provided it was left in standby mode. I am looking for the same facility on the Bravia, it would seem silly, and a wast of time, to download to HDD and then write that to DVD later.

Bravia55HX

ok, well its possible that both your philips devices worked that way before, im not convinced however it will do it now, its been a very long time since i owned a vcr,

back to the HDD, when using this function its simple you record to the HDD and playback recorded content like you would have with a vcr, its not a case of "download and copy to dvd" it does not work like that.