Join now - be part of our community!

connecting kdl46ex713 to a PC

SOLVED
iamitch80
New

connecting kdl46ex713 to a PC

Hi,

I have connected my Sony TV to my PC via wireless so that I can see movies that are stored on the PC.

Recently I purchased TP-Link powerline extender, I liked the fact that I didn't have to use wireless for my main computer tand I decided to buy another adaptor for my TV. So I now have TL-PA4010 plugged into my router, a TL-WPA4200 providing a wireless hotspot and 3 AV500 Nano's TL-PA411, one for my main computer and one each into our TV's.

The TV used to be able to "see" the main computer when it was wireless and I could play movies and recorded TV from the computer on the TV. I installed the AV500 to provide a wired connection for the TV but now the PC is not available. I have gone into the set-up of the TV refreshed the list of available servers and the PC is no longer available. I checked the the home group set-up on the PC, (wnidows 8.1), and there were 2 Sony Barvia's with different IP addresses, I'm presuming one is when it was connected via a wireless connection the other I am presuming is the new wired connection, (it was unchecked so I checked it to "allow" it). So the PC can "see" the TV on the Home Network.

When I did the scan on the TV the only PC could be seen was a Laptop that was wirelessly connected to the network.

The TV has internet connection so I can see YouTube for example.

Any ideas how I get the TV to "see" the computer?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Lets simplify this a little, as its a little confusing:

• TV connected to router via powerline adapter (and network has been setup, as YouTube plays fine)
  • PC connected to router via powerline adapter (im assuming that you have the network setup correctly)

I will state though, that I do not know windows 8 (i refuse to use it).

On your PC, are you able to "ping" the ip-address of the TV by dropping to the command prompt?  If you do not know the IP address of the TV, simply look at the network status of the TV for the info?

I dont suppose that your PC is broadcasting a "wireless" IP address as well as a "wired" IP address?

Cheers

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Lets simplify this a little, as its a little confusing:

• TV connected to router via powerline adapter (and network has been setup, as YouTube plays fine)
  • PC connected to router via powerline adapter (im assuming that you have the network setup correctly)

I will state though, that I do not know windows 8 (i refuse to use it).

On your PC, are you able to "ping" the ip-address of the TV by dropping to the command prompt?  If you do not know the IP address of the TV, simply look at the network status of the TV for the info?

I dont suppose that your PC is broadcasting a "wireless" IP address as well as a "wired" IP address?

Cheers

iamitch80
New

Thanks for your reply Quinnicus. I started to check out things as per your reply and noticed the TV wasn't showing on the Computer Network. Checked the TV and it wasn't switched on, "Doh". Switched it on and did a quick check on the setting/Network/Server and the PC was showing!!!!!

Checked the play back of some TV Programmes recorded on the PC and its perfet, it fact much much better quality than when they were connected via wireless.

The only thing I can think is that the TV has been switched off and back on again.

Once again thanks for the reply.

Ian

Anonymous
Not applicable

Your welcome - Im glad its working