Join now - be part of our community!

Does the Sony KDL42W654 have BBC I-player in The SEN

SOLVED

Does the Sony KDL42W654 have BBC I-player in The SEN

I purchased the Sony KDL42W654 back in September, assuming that they all come with the iplayer application.  However, dispite looking at the options and SEN I can't find it as part of the set up

Have I made a mistake and bought the wrong TV and is there a way of downloading I-player so that it is part of the SEN on the TV?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Regards, Ryan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Sure, but notice all of the apps you can't see are geofiltered ones not availlable in other countries, all of the ones you can see have no limitations. So I'd still get your ISP to give you a fresh IP address then refresh the content.

You are in mainland UK I assume right?

Thanks

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

As long as you are in the UK (your IP address is UK) then iPlayer should be around.  If you cannot find it in the Applications, you may need to do the following:

1. Turn Off TV
  2. Turn off your ISP's router (leave off the 2 minutes, and switch on again)
  3. Once you router has been rebooted and connected turn on the TV again
  4. Once TV is up and running, try refreshing Internet Content (Home > Settings > Network > Refresh Internet Content)

If that doesnt work:

• Ensure that you have the latest firmware
  • Factory reset the TV

Cheers

advappel
Explorer

Hi

I have just bought a Sony KDL42W653 and have a similar problem - there are only a few apps showing, and not iplayer, 5od etc. There are just the three sony ones, 'crackle', youtube, skype, web, facebook, 'tvtweet', and some search ones.

Having read the advice on here, I have tried unplugging the router and tv for several minutes, connected to the internet (google page), refreshed the internet content, and done a factory reset. I have then repeated these actions several times, but to no avail.

Is iplayer actually still available, or am I missing something obvious? Having iplayer was one of the reasons I bought a smart tv....

Catmambo
Contributor

Normally its down to the IP address the TV is seeing. You've done the obvious steps- maybe give your ISP a ring and get them to reset your connection from their side which should give you a fresh IP address and the problem should disappear. Its very resolvable.

You have the latest firmware right?

advappel
Explorer

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, I checked the firmware too, it is PKG4.001EUA, which I believe is the latest version.

Iplayer works on my laptop through the same router (and so I assume it is the same IP address), so could it still be an IP problem?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Unlikely its still an IP problem.  Confirm via this site:

http://whatismyipaddress.com/

Can you confirm that your TV is actually connected to the network?  Maybe test YouTube of the web-browser.

Cheers

advappel
Explorer

Hello,

Thanks - my IP address is showing as in the UK.

The Youtube app is working ok.

The strange thing is that the Youtube app only appears in the 'home' menu, as one of the applications going off horizontally to the right. It does not appear in the SEN all applications page (but Skype and facebook do)

Anonymous
Not applicable

At this moment in time, I have no solution for you.  Might be best for you to contact Sony directly.  In the mean time, I understand that iPlayer is now available from the red-button.  Simply go onto a BBC channel and press the red button.

Catmambo
Contributor

Sure, but notice all of the apps you can't see are geofiltered ones not availlable in other countries, all of the ones you can see have no limitations. So I'd still get your ISP to give you a fresh IP address then refresh the content.

You are in mainland UK I assume right?

Thanks

advappel
Explorer

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I am in mainland UK (Cheshire) and my IP address has the correct location.

I will give my ISP a call to see if resetting the IP address helps.

Thanks again for the help,