Join now - be part of our community!

IFA 2012 - Streaming content (Europe)

profile.country.da_DK.title
Delgado0102
Visitor

IFA 2012 - Streaming content (Europe)

Hi Guys

I am following IFA Berlin 2012, and seeing allot of new stuff.

- Google Tv built in LG TV

- LG Smart TV - SP820N with app supporting for..

Netflix, HBO, Viaplay, SF Anytime, Headweb.

- Samsung Smart tv apps for HBO, Viaplay, SF anytime, Yousee.

- Panasonic Smart tv apps HBO, Netflix, Viaplay

My only problem i have a Sony 65" HX-923 and i am also using CI+ module, instead of cable box.

Are we going to see some apps for HBO, Netflix, Viaplay for Sony Bravia TV in the near future..??

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.en_GB.title
drhowells
New

Hi, you won't get an app for Netflix, this is not available on pre-2012 model tvs. Are the apps for the other tvs going to be available on older models or only on new ones?

Due to licence agreements we won't know about the release of other apps on our tvs until they are officially announced, so I doubt you will get a full answer to your question unless the information is publically available.

Delgado0102
Visitor

LG, Samsung, and Panasonic Smart TV Apps are available for all older TV's with Smart tv app support.

this is not a hardware problem..

This is extremely bad custumer support from Sony..

It is exactly the license agreement.. and so far Sony is the only one who havent made a deal

with HBO, Netflix, Viaplay and so on. And It is going to be huge in europe...:smileyshocked:

profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi Delgado0102

As Drhowells said, this is not a licensing problem, we had our regular meeting with Netflix yesterday at IFA and they would obviously love for it to be on more TV's, but the slightly order models are just not fast enough to cope with their DRM protocols unfortunately. Its a very similar situation with other manufacturers as Engagdet reported here http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/09/netflix-officially-announces-uk-ireland-launch/ with far from total coverage from all manufacturers.

I'd agree, these services are going to be huge, but they all use differing standards and so there will always be challenges in backporting. You have probably one of the best TV's on the market at the moment in terms of picture quality, so the easiest way to get Netflix would be via GS7 Google Tv or a 2012 Blu-ray player.

Hope ths helps

Delgado0102
Visitor

Hi Catmambo

Thank you for your answer.

I am very pleased with the picture quality. But very disapointed to hear that Sony's flagship model until 2 days ago, wich are marketing for a Smart TV is already outdated, and with the pricing of Sony products even sadder.

All Samsung D model Pre-2012 are running Netflix and will run HBO plus all the other apps. And i am almost sure that LG is the same.

The problem with GS7 is when you are using CA module and not a cable box, then you are missing half of the function. And netflix is not the only application, what about HBO. And in the nordic countries we are still missing alot off application who could run like Viaplay, SF anytime, Headweb.

But i am getting it now. Just want to be clear, because i think this is going to be frustrating

for many Sony Bravia custummers who have spent alot of money on Sony.

And i will think twice next time about future compatibility of Sony products when iam buying TV.