Join now - be part of our community!

iplayer still unstable

profile.country.GB.title
clecky
Explorer

iplayer still unstable

Hi. Please could a Sony person let me know what could be happening? Every 10 secs the iplayer buffers and restarts. I have asked iplayer but I think they will say jts a tv issue. I have Sony KDL 26 ex 320. Many thanks.
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@clecky wrote:
This morning the iplayer works on TV as speed is around 13 Mbps.

@clecky wrote:
Network speeds in nighttime are around 3-4 Mbps.

Hi there

The above two quotes is where I think your problem lies.  According to the BBC, for HD iPlayer content is encoded at 3.2Mbps, so you need at very least that. However this also doesnt take into account for TCP/IP overheads, and any other transmission bandwidth overheads required.

So why does it work on your iPad and not the TV - As Catmambo stated above, there are over 700 versions of iPlayer.  The iPad version may handle the traffic differently, or even lower the video quality on the "fly" according to your internet speeds.  Pure guess as I dont know how each BBC app works. 

EDIT: According to THIS, the bandwidth requirements for an iPad is lower.

What can you do:

• Firstly I would connect an ethernet cable to the TV to absolutely rule out wireless issues - but I dont believe this is where your problem lies
  • I would be contacting your ISP (please dont tell me its TalkTalk or Virginmedia - it seems its always them) and get them to investigate WHY you have a drastic speed difference - 13Mb/s to 3Mb/s is well unacceptable. 
  • In the iPlayer application on the TV - I think you can go to the settings area and lower the video quality.  This may certainly help.

Hope this helps

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
clecky
Explorer

Thank you for this. Can you explain though why things have changed? I have had the tv and wireless network for 2 years or so and aside from glitches when setting up and the Dec 2013 issues with Sony and iplayer, why I can no longer watch things properly. Nothing has changed at my end. Would very much like to understand. Thanks
profile.country.GB.title
clecky
Explorer

Thank you.
My ISP is EE.. I need to test the wired speeds to see if same degradation, but if they offer wireless router then I think there should be some resolution to this discrepancy in speed. I am wondering if this is a deliberate method of forcing customers to fibre?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

This document may explain the slow-down (document dated 07/01/2014 - which "may" explain the change):

http://e-gain.s3.amazonaws.com/external/content/Ts%20and%20Cs/BSG_KFI_template_-_Legacy_Off-net_v4_J...

They are using a traffic management policy to slow you down between 4:30pm - 1am.

Having a scan of their community forums, your issue is not uncommon either:

http://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Broadband/Broadband-Iplayer-blocked-at-peak-times/td-p/8894

However you really need to contact them to find out the exact cause.  It could even be a phone line fault.

http://explore.ee.co.uk/get-in-touch

Cheers