profile.country.GB.title
Peeoff
Explorer

*** KD-65XE7003 "Viewing or HDR pictures at 18Gbps"

I was just looking through the 'specs' for various 2017 TV's and found this:

To view 4K or HDR pictures at 18 Gbps*

* Use a Premium High Speed HDMI cable for 18 Gbps

* Set HDMI signal format to Enhanced format

(I bought Premium High Speed HDMI cables and, the HDMI signal format is Enhanced)

1. Press the HOME button on the remote control

2. Select Settings

3. Select External inputs in the TV category

4. Select HDMI signal format and set to Enhanced format

*(4K (50,60 Hz) with YCbCr 4:4:4, YCbCr 4:2:2, YCbCr 4:2:0 /10bit, RGB, HDR picture etc)

(Where are these settings on my KD65XE7003 TV and, what should it be set to)

* Also shows: 4K HDR 2017 models: XE80, XE85, XE90, XE94 and A1 Series

My new XE70 series is not shown, Why?  It's the KD65XE7003 and a 2017 model.  Is it because all of the other series are Android TV's and I believe my XE70 is not Android!

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Great spot!  Those instructions are for Android based TVs.  However the prinicple is still the same.

Settings > Set-up > AV Set-up > HDMI Signal Format > Enhanced.

Page 28 of the manual : HERE

You only need to set the HDMI Signal Format to Enhanced when you are connecting a 4K HDR device or 4K@60p (i.e. PS4 Pro, 4K Bluray Player etc)

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Peeoff
Explorer

Hi Quinnicus

Thanks for your reply.

So, Android based TV's will have the settings that I posted but, "other Sony TV's' like mine, just have to turn enable 'Enhanced' in HDMI signal format?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Both your's and Android based TVs have this setting and needs to be changed when necessary - its just the setting is in different menus thats all.

I guess Sony just needs to update that webpage to reflect 'Android' and 'Non-Android' TVs.

cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Peeoff
Explorer

Hi there

Thanks again for your help.

The menu that I had on my previous 55HX853 was a different layout and it seems that some options that where easily available in my HX853 TV, are more hidden in the XE7000 series.

To be honest, we have been having a lot of problems with our Sky Q box going back to May this year.  Problems like the display and sound freezing for 10 to 20 seconds and longer where we have had to unplug Sky for a few minutes and then plug it in again.

We've also had the picture fast fwd, rewind or pause anf it's still not right.

Over the last two nights, my wife pressed the HOME/MENU button on the SKY remote and chose a channel from the MENU but, when the picture appeared, it had frozen and there was no sound?  The display and sound was frozen with the XE7003 connected but it must be Sky again and not our new TV (hopefully)?

In SCREEN options on the TV, there are no options available?

When we key in a channel using the SKY Remote, the channel appears with the HDMI input shown in the top corner of the 65XE7003 an, it disappears after 3 - 4 seconds.

When we do the same on our new 40WE663, the chosen channel appears but, the HDMI input is not shown?

Both these TV's using the same or very similar MENU so, why do we see the HDMI input on the XE7003 TV but not on the WE663 TV.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I don't believe there is a way to enable/disable the top info banner on either of your TVs.  It can be done only on Android based TVs.

So why does one TV display it where the other doesnt.  The info banner 'should' only display when the input signal channels (either video or audio).  You have 1x 4K TV and 1x HD TV - both are slightly different TVs and on different firmware versions.  Most likely at different stages in its firmware development cycles too.

Im guessing that the Sky signal is 1080p and matches your WE663 TV being a HD TV and all.  Im also guessing that the 4K TV is 'searching' for a 4K signal first, when not found 'searches' for 1080p HD signal.  If found, then it displays it in the top info banner. 

I have a KD-55XD8577 TV and the info banner displays for a few seconds when changing channels on Freeview.  To me this is normal functionality.

--------

Next theory - You probably have the Sky Q Silver box connected to the XE7003 TV and the Sky Q Mini box connected to the WE663.  If so, then technically the input is not changing as Sky Q Mini connects to the main box via Wifi, and hence the info banner will not display.  You could test this theory, but having the main Sky Q box on the WE663 TV and the Mini box on the XE7003 TV.  Thinking about it, this is the most logical answer - I think.

Cheers