Join now - be part of our community!

*** KD65XE7003 / 2 - Freeview / upscaling query

profile.country.GB.title
Peeoff
Explorer

*** KD65XE7003 / 2 - Freeview / upscaling query

Hi

Just a quick query about the upscaling feature on my 65XE7003, when using just the Freeview signal:

This TV is a 4K UHD TV and, up until now, I've had no TV aerial installed so, I've been using the Sky Q Silver box to provide our viewing requirements and, this morning, I finally fitted an aerial and connected it to my 4K TV so that, only the aerial was providing the TV with a signal.

Now, as this TV is meant to upscale HD channels (not sure about SD channels?) that I am watching, to UHD/4K 2160p so, I tuned to a few HD channels which were already good quality, such as 103, 101,104 and, checking the input signal in the top left of the display, it was showing 1080i/25Hz which is HD!

* If these HD channels have been correctly upscaled, shouldnt it be showing 2160p?

* The "HDMI Signal Format" setting is set to "Enhanced" for both HDMI 2 and HDMI 3!

BTW, watching a few SD channels at 576i/25Hz, when compared to HD quality, showed that they were slightly blurry and less than sharp!

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Your tv will always upscale anything you feed into it in order to use all its pixels, otherways it would show a small square in the middle of the screen the size of the input source. Nonetheless it will show in the info bar the input source resolution (1080i or 1080p for Full HD or 576i for SD). The enhanced format for HDMI is needed only if you connect a 4K device to it, otherwise you don't need it.

Regardeless of the upscale algorithm used, if the input is crap the output cannot be perfect, so it is quite normal that SD channel are worst than HD channel (even if often the broadcaster is upscaling itself SD content to HD channels and in that case the difference is not so big)