Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-37W5810

SOLVED
SynbiosSwordsman
Explorer

KDL-37W5810

Hello. :slight_smile:

My other half's parents owned this TV for a couple of years, and it stopped working all of a sudden about a week back. They decided to get a new one anyway, but said we could have it; if we could fix it, excellent, if not then pop it in recycling.

Turning on the TV at the wall shows the power light, but nothing else happens - nothing on the screen, no sound. Every button on the controller makes the power light flicker, except the standby button, and there's no way to put it in standby mode (though it already is for all intents and purposes). If I turn the TV off at the wall, press and hold the TV's power button for ten seconds then switch back on after a minute, both the controller's standby button plus the TV's power button work to put it in and out of standby. Nothing else actually happens - there's not even a flashing standby light to indicate an error code. The TV is practically dead besides the two lights and the familiar click when the power is turned on and off.

I don't know of a reset code, and I doubt the TV was turned off during an update (it's about four years old). Does anybody have any ideas? It would be a shame to scrap such a decent TV especially when we're currently using a 24" Bush model. :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh well.

It could be a simple backlight or inverter issue, but without having a technician look at it (which cost money), I cant see you fixing this to be honest.  And then its the case of "un-economical to repair" issue. 

Cheers

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

It does sound like its dead - but see if you can bring up the TV's self diagnostic page.

If you can, put TV in standby mode and press the following buttons on the remote control in sequence:

Self Diagnostic.jpg

"IF" it comes up, what errors are displaying?

Cheers

SynbiosSwordsman
Explorer

Thanks for the quick reply.

Unfortunately, all that does is take the TV back off "standby", regardless of whether I enter the sequence quickly or otherwise.

The lights are on but nobody's home, it seems!

Thanks for your help.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh well.

It could be a simple backlight or inverter issue, but without having a technician look at it (which cost money), I cant see you fixing this to be honest.  And then its the case of "un-economical to repair" issue. 

Cheers

SynbiosSwordsman
Explorer

My thoughts exactly. Could be more economical just saving for a large screen TV!

We do know of somebody who repairs TVs for a living but considering it's such a pricey model, I'm not going to hold out any hopes for a cheap repair.

Thanks again. :slight_smile: