Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-40WE663, Channel problems when exiting Smart functions.

profile.country.GB.title
FooledAgain
Explorer

KDL-40WE663, Channel problems when exiting Smart functions.

Have only had this TV a few days. Have already encountered a few problems when exiting from Internet Opera Browser and also YouTube. A couple of times, after exiting Browser, the TV channel I was happily watching previously was blank with no sound or picture and showed a message that no station was tuned, I switch to another channel and back and the problem is resolved, disconcerting and annoying but no big deal. The worst problem, after exiting YouTube, looked the same but would not resolve. Tried various things (including retuning ALL channels from scratch!) but could not get one of the TV channels back, in desperation I moved the channel to a different number via Programme List Edit and lost ALL channels!!!! No sound, no pictures, nothing! I powered the thing off totally for a couple of minutes, after which all was well. The Smart functions don't seem very smart and are a bit fragile and I am loathe to use them now. Support are not interested as I resolved it myself eventually, which does not impress me.

Anyone else seen this?

Instruction manual could do with fleshing out a bit. It looks to me like I made a wrong choice.

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi FooledAgain,

Thanks for your message. We are looking into this and someone will get back to you shortly.

Thanks,

Pascale_F

profile.country.GB.title
cass_n
Community Team

Hi there,

Apologies for the late reply.  Have these issues remained resolved?  You probably have done this already, but just in case, please make sure the latest firmware is installed.

Cheers,

C

profile.country.GB.title
FooledAgain
Explorer

Thanks for the tip but checking that the software is at the latest release level was one of the first things I did before reporting the problem.
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @FooledAgain

Are you still having the same problems with Opera and Youtube?

If you haven't tried them again then it may be worth it,(even if it involves having to go through

everything you did before to try and solve it), as this would show that the problem is clearly not resolved.

You shouldn't have to go through all that to be able to watch TV after using other functions.

Where did you purchase the TV? (just double checking it was from Sony.)

If so I think it could be argued with Support  that losing channels, having to reset the TV, leaving the TV off for a few minutes or  changing channels in an attempt to get the picture back is not a resolution to the problem.

profile.country.GB.title
FooledAgain
Explorer

To be honest the Smart functions are not that imprtant to me, just a feature that is nice to have for very occasional use. Since experiencing problems, I have turned off the WiFi facility. I reported my issues to Sony because I thought they would be interested in hearing of user problems and attempting to replicate and resolved them. 

Thanks for your suggestion "jumpsuit". I have just reactivated the WiFi facility and retried the Browser access. I am still seeing some failures when returning from the App to the TV channel, on 3 attempts out of about 24 I received the "Station not tuned" problem.

To answer your question, I purchased the TV from Tesco Direct who I have had good expereinces with before and would use again. Indeed, I bought an LG TV from them for my grandson only a couple of months back and that has been most successful.   

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi :slight_smile:

Sony do appreciate people letting them know if they are having operational issues with a product

so, as you say, they can try and replicate and resolve them.

I'd check Tesco Directs terms and conditions, but surely they would

offer an exchange given how new the TV is?

profile.country.GB.title
FooledAgain
Explorer

Hi jumpsuit,If the Smart functions of the TV were more of a priority to me, then I would have already swapped it back to Tesco for a Samsung or a Panasonic and I'm sure this would not have been a problem. However, I am actually quite pleased with the item as a TV so I shall probably keep it. I am confident the problems will be resolved at some point. 
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Ahhh, sorry I meant exchange it for the same model

so you could compare and see if there was any difference.

If not, glad you're still enjoying the TV :slight_smile: