Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-46W905A won't play audio through HDMI 1.3 home theatre

profile.country.GB.title
babydinosaur
Explorer

KDL-46W905A won't play audio through HDMI 1.3 home theatre

I've connected my W905A to an LG home theatre that is only HDMI 1.3, so I have audio playing through it via optical audio out to get the TV sound go through it. There is nothing else connected to the TV.

When I select Speakers to be 'Audio System' I get 15 seconds of great Dolby sound, then it reverts back saying 'TV speakers actve due to Audio system communication failure'. I've found that when I disconnect the home theatre's HDMI cable from the TV, the audio works properly through the Audio System.

Obviously, I don't want to keep on plugging and unplugging the HDMI cable, so is there a resolution for this?

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Im going to assume that your LG Home Theatre is not HDMI ARC compatible - and thats why you have the optical cable connected. 

Im wondering if the TV is getting confused here and "attempting" to output audio via HDMI - initially anyhow.

A couple of suggestions to try:

1. Ensure that the External Audio settings are correct : HERE
  2. Try using another HDMI port on the TV - Im assuming you have connected it to HDMI 1 - Try HDMI 2
  3. Ensure that the settings are correct on the LG System.

Hope that helps.

profile.country.GB.title
babydinosaur
Explorer

Yes, you're right, it's not ARC compatible,

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately none of them have had any impact. I've tried all other HDMI ports. When I change the External Audio selection I get 15 seconds of sounds as it should be, then I get the error mentioned before and it reverts to TV speakers. And there is nothing in the LG home theatre settings of any use.

profile.country.GB.title
babydinosaur
Explorer

I've since found out that if I unplug my home cinema's HDMI cable from the TV completely the sound comes through the optical audio correctly. So now if I want to watch a blu-ray or DVD I need to manually plug in the HDMI cable beforehand. Pretty ridiculous, and not very smart for a Smart TV in 2013! Sony, your TV is defective and you really do have a moral obligation to sort this out.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

That doesnt sound quite right, does it (pardon the pun).

Suggestion: Try setting the Sound for Digital Output from AUTO to PCM and see if that makes a difference.  Instructions : HERE

Failing that, if that doesnt work, it might be best to give Sony a buzz : HERE

Cheers

profile.country.en_GB.title
Bravia55HX

have you tried changing the sound on the tv from tv speakers to audio system ?

(remote-options-speakers-change from tv to audio system)