Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-47W805A USB recordings show "subtitle off" on screen randomly

tinewnh64

KDL-47W805A USB recordings show "subtitle off" on screen randomly

KDL-47W805A USB recordings show "subtitle off" on screen message randomly. Very annoying. i+ button does not stop it appearing! Help!
50 REPLIES 50
adam_cr

Add me to the list of sufferers! There's nothing like a digital tag on the screen for ruining a recording of Downton Abbey!! :wink: Grr.

mikie1
Explorer

Spoke again to customer support and reported that the factory reset didn't work. The very nice help desk person told me that this is a known issue and took all the details of my experience to provide a full report for the technical team so hopefully the USB recording subsystem will get some love/ debugging.
Mike
tinewnh64

Superb effort, Mike. Let's hope we get an update soon!
tinewnh64

Please add to this subject if you have this issue......
Dr-Rob
Explorer

I also have this issue with a KDL-42W807A.

tinewnh64

Still a major issue. Any resolution?!?!?!
LouisN1
Explorer

Like others on this forum, I have exactly the same issue with my 2 week old television. I actually chose this television based on the record to USB feature as I wasn't making much use of my Tivo and didn't want to have a set top DVR. I reported this to Sony, the issue was logged as I was assured I would get a call back which didn't happen. I am going to call again today. I have the latest firmware, have tried a factory re-set and have tried two different USB drives. I really hope they sort this issue out as this was the main reason for buying this TV.

mikie1
Explorer

Just received word back from the very nice customer support person. Engineering have reported this as "not a bug/won't fix" as they say it is expected behaviour when you pause or when the recording switches from 1080p to 1080i or vice versa. I have
1) asked for it to be escalated as this is not correct.
2) asked for engineering to look at this official forum
3) asked for the source code for the TV as per my rights under the GPL or else I will be reporting Sony to the FSF.

Buck your ideas up Sony. This is not adequate. Can any of the "official" people on here escalate this or are these forums just complete PR?
Mike
tinewnh64

Update PKG3.802.EUA seems to have stopped the "subtitle off" banner appearing randomly. It does appear after a pause / fast forward. This is a step in the right direction. I do not see this as a "solution", as I need to see it consistently behaving over the next week......

mikie1
Explorer

It seems possible that firmware update or factory reset reduces the problem for a bit but tonight i counted the subtitle:off message 47 times in a 1 hour programme. I have now stopped doing any new recordings with the TV until it is sorted out.