Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-47W805A USB recordings show "subtitle off" on screen randomly

tinewnh64

KDL-47W805A USB recordings show "subtitle off" on screen randomly

KDL-47W805A USB recordings show "subtitle off" on screen message randomly. Very annoying. i+ button does not stop it appearing! Help!
50 REPLIES 50
macklij
Explorer

Still very much an issue.

Very dissapointed with Sony on this.

profile.country.GB.title
daveh48
New

Just bought a KDL-55W905A and have this issue with USB recordings.

Like others here the "Subtitle OFF" message keeps popping up throughout the playback - sometimes it's just random and other times it seems to happen each time there's a scene change or advert.

I thought the ability to record via USB would enable me to get rid of and old PVR but this problem really makes recordings impossible to watch as you are constantly waiting for the message to rear it's ugly head.

When I saw there was a sofware update yesterday I was hoping this may have cured it but no.

This is not what I expect from a TV costing the best part of £2,000.

It's obviously some sort of bug in the recording part of the software and as this seems to effect various models I would have thought Sony could have rectified this by now.

Not good Sony, not good at all!

tinewnh64

New update, problem comes back!!!!!!!!

Sort this out, pleeeeeease!!!!!!!!!!
tinewnh64

Interesting observation....during the recording of strictly come dancing on BBC1 HD , the 'subtitle off' message only came on screen when video from non-live segments of the show were shown!?
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Just bought a KDL42-W805A and recorded the F1 Gran Prix in Abu Dhabi from RAI 1 HD channel in Italy without any problem related to unwanted messages (2 hours recording worthing some 8GB of HDD storage:smileyhappy: ). Maybe the problem is related to the way the signal broadcast in UK.

mikie1
Explorer

thank you for this

just to be clear

this doesn't happen when I watch live TV, it only happens when the signal is replayed from the recording made by the sony TV

therefore, the REPRODUCTION of the ~wierd~ UK standards based broadcast signal is causing this highly undesirable problem.

I am no longer using the TV as PVR because of this and as a side note I am reporting sony to the Free Software Foundation for breaching the Gnu Public License - they obviously don't read the very same licenses that they distribute with the TV in the "Open Source Licenses" section of the settings.

If I ever get anything from sony customer support more than "known problem we're still working on it"

mike

ps please stop torturing the poor person allocated my case with having to phone me every 2 days to tell me that engineering are "working on it". It's getting pretty cringeworthy for me, goodness knows how she feels about it.

I would not think less of Sony if she was allowed to say "yeah it's broken,I'll let you know as soon as it is fixed"

pps think i might just start regularly RMA'ing this TV until it gets fixed or I get a response here from someone who actually knows what is going on.

tinewnh64

This issue has not gone away....anyone listening????
Dogs-Body
Explorer

Had a 42inch tv for a couple of weeks and added a Seagate external hard drive. Now I am cursed with the 'Subtitle Off' message. Some points - I don't think it occurred with the first two items I recorded but cannot swear to this (I think I would have noticed), further, the frequency of the appearance varies greatly - sometimes a programme is rarely interrupted, at other times it keeps on coming up (perhaps depending on channel?). Emailed Sony - almost useless! I was told that the subtitles need to be switched off from my external hard drive! HOW? This drive is controlled by and from the TV. I have just emailed them again rather more forcefully - I got the impression that my problem was responded to by a pretty basic general advice-giver: it needs some knowledgable technical bod to offer REAL advice. Or is there no real advice to be had? I'm disgusted and disappointed with this situation!

RS_172
Explorer

I bought a KDL-42W805A and a WD Elements 1TB drive, in order to record TV.

I am also SO frustrated to see the "Subtitles off" message randomly (and often) appearing when watching either paused TV or recorded TV.

SONY support staff, please acknowledge this software error (it may be UK specific) and give us an update to resolve it!  The message appears throughout recorded programs, it is not connected to obvious changes in broadcast signal (such as when the adverts start/ finish, which also shows the "HE-AAC" message).

The TV is great apart from this annoying glitch, which makes the recording feature (one of my reasons for upgrading the old TV) almost useless. Sort it out Sony!

Zerpico
Explorer

Great TV, Great Picture, but you need to a better testing period for you software.

I have worked as a programmer all my life, this level of completion would not be acceptable in my industry, testing is extremly importing as the final product brings bad feedback and reflects badly on the company.

There are many issues, with this TV, but they are all fairly minor, for example when your inside one of many options and you press EXIT, then you should EXIT from all the menus, RETURN brings you back through the menus you visited as a person may like/need to do, so EXIT should simply EXIT back to the TV screen.

The "Subtitle: OFF" in playback from USB issue is a simple 30 seconds programming fix, regardless of the complications of each regional broadcast.

I've just watched a recording, VIA USB HDD of a programme on BBC2 last night, for 1 hour it displayed the messages an extremely unacceptable, annoying, throw remote at TV inducing 77 times!

When I bought Sony, I presumed I bought quality, this level of software testing to let this pass is terrible.

A couple of solutions for you...

1. Have a global flag called GlobalSubtitleMessage, and this is changed by the user, if Off is selected then under no cicumstances is that message displayed.

2. When in play mode, for longer than 5 seconds, never display Subtitle messages until either the programme ends or stop is pressed.

3. Emply me, I'm a qualified programmer, have been all my life, I've even written software for Sony, I could honestly fix this in one day, I'd venture to say 5 minutes, but I considering learning a little about your systems first.

4. Here's a novel idea, fix it yourselves, and don't have this simple issue reflect badly on your business.

...this extremely anoying issue has stopped me from using the TV to record and has made me change my mind on buy a much larger 4K TV for our movie room, I will not buy the Sony model now at all, knowing how much attention you pay to the small stuff, you know, the stuff that matters.

Please Sony fix this, at least reply in kind (I bought your TV) to this message and show your intent...

Annoyed from Manchester...