Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-47W805A USB recordings show "subtitle off" on screen randomly

tinewnh64

KDL-47W805A USB recordings show "subtitle off" on screen randomly

KDL-47W805A USB recordings show "subtitle off" on screen message randomly. Very annoying. i+ button does not stop it appearing! Help!
50 REPLIES 50
tinewnh64

Anyone resolved this issue?
japenge
Explorer

Also have this problem with kdl42w65 when recording HD. Please take notice Sony.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

As an update to everyone who is affected this problem. 

Sony have taken notice and confirmed that the problem exists.  They are actively working on a resolution.  Unfortunately it is highly unlikely that any resolution will be implemented this side of the new year.

The issue is:

Some channels, especially the likes of ITV (although the BBC also do it) 'dynamically' flip from 1080p to 1080i depending on the content being aired.  For example, Downton Abby might be broadcast in 1080p but the channel will switch to 1080i when the adverts come on.  This throws the recording off, hence the issue.

In theory if should only do it on HD channels and so recording SD channels should be 'ok'

When there are further updates, they will be posted to keep you all informed.

Cheers

bennyb13
Explorer

Hi all,

Having the same problem with my KDL-32W653A using the USB Record with a Western Digital Elements 500GB.

Had the TV less than a week and this is annoying me.

The problem does seem to be whenever the signal input is changed (ie adverts) however it also happens frequently when the recorded show is playing and is unbelievably annoying!

The problem is worst when recording the UK HD channels.

I now most of this has been said already but just wanted to add to this thread to try and help push Sony to fix this as it appears to be a universal problem.

To me the fix is surely simple and judging by how we have all narrowed down the issue, it will be easy for Sony to reproduce and troubleshoot.

I went out and bought this HDD especially for the TV and am quite disappointed with this issue.

Sony please put some effort into this as I do not want to have to view you as anything other than a quality company, it's the reason I buy Sony and would like things to continue that way.

Thanks.
Roobarrb
New

Add me to the list of irritated Sony Bravia owners. My KDL 42W654a also displays this annoying banner. Surely it's not beyond the wisdom of Sony to fix this. Very disappointing.
profile.country.GB.title
steveswest

Yeap put me down for this one too on my TV KDL-42W805A

This is what I've sent to Sony Tech Support.

Have attached a HDD to USB. All works ok except on playback a message 'Subtitles: OFF' pops up on the right hand side of the screen.

This appears to happen upon change of content in the recorded program.

So for example: A news broadcast that may include reports from roving reporters. When the content changes from studio to outside broadcast, Up pops the 'Subtitles: OFF' message for a second or so, and it does it again when we return to the Studio presenter.

It's like the change of source material is causing the TV to check for subtiles.  Regardless if I have subtiles turned off!

If I playback a recorded drama or Film which then no problem (need to check if adverts cause the issues like others have posted)

I have updated to the latest Software version. And have tried different HDD's

It's a minor but very anoying bug in an other wise wonderful TV

Any Suggestions please?  Or as many others have said, find it and issue fix update please.

Steve

RS_172
Explorer

HURRAY!

It's been fixed in the latest firmware update, thankyou Sony support :slight_smile:

mikie1
Explorer

I cautiously agree.

since the latest update to PKG4.101EUA i have not had the "subtitle off" problem.

Thank you Sony support, please add the cause to your testing suite to ensure no regressions :slight_smile:

mike

profile.country.GB.title
steveswest

Latest update looks to have fixed subtitle off display issue on my KDL-42W805A.  Not noticed any of the other issues PKG4.101EUA update other posts say have been created

RS_172
Explorer

So, now that the USB recording feature on my KDL-42W805A looked to be useful again I've been using it, and I quickly noticed that often the recorded title list incorrectly shows the name of the programme which proceeded the recording (due to a recording start time signal overlap and software that can't sort it out).

This is ridiculous, I now have a sheet of paper to decode the title list, it's unworkable.

Looking on this forum, I see a number of threads reporting this problem from 2011 onwards, with Sony support showing no interest and blaming the broadcaster's signal.

That's a really poor response... I've owned two Humax freeview PVRs and I've never seen such a basic problem, it's obviously easy to work around, Sony just don't seem to care from what I've read (and the fact the fault is still here three years later!).

So, Sony support, you've fixed the subtitle off fault, now how about fixing the title list fault... or that 1TB HDD I bought was still a waste of money, and perhaps it will have to be Samsung for the next major purchase? :slight_frown: