Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-55EX503 Malfunction

SOLVED
jolebre51
Explorer

KDL-55EX503 Malfunction

Hello! 

My KDL-55EX503 TV is faulty - I can turn it on for a while, but then it will go into standby with 7 flashes of the standby LED - I bought it on 12th May 2010. 

Can anyone help me please? I've unplugged it for an hour but that hasn't worked. 

Thanks!

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jolebre51
Explorer

INdeed I did! the very same PDF..

I have had the TV open today - and after some checking I've disconnected the IR sensor.. which is known as the HLR Mount. Part number A-1753-636-A

The TV works perfectly now. Albeit without any remote control functions at all. Just need to replace the board, very easy job, only one cable and a couple of screws. Not ordered the part yet - I've left it disconnected and I'm going to run it for a few days, and if all is well, order the part then, I may respond with an update, but if I don't - this was the fix! Hope this helps others, apparantly the HLR Mount is a common fault on these sets.. Annoying though, it's only 3.5 years old.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi jolebre51,

welcome to the Sony User Community Forum..:smileyhappy:

If the standby light is flashing red then this indicates that the TV's self diagnosis mode has been activated, I suggest you contact your local authorised Sony service centre and inform the them of the sequence that the Standby light flashes. Use the following link to find your nearest: Authorised  Sony service centre

jolebre51
Explorer

Thanks for that - I'm perfectly happy to contact them as well as replacing
the part myself, I'm pretty good at electronics... don't suppose you know
what part needs replacing or how I can find out.. I spotted this, but
doesn't tell me more than the error - I need a circuit diagram for this TV..

- *Seven blinks* - High voltage shutdown. The high voltage has exceeded
33k and the unit goes immediately into safety shutdown. Check power supply
regulation and horizontal circuits.
jolebre51
Explorer

Thanks for that - I'm perfectly happy to contact them as well as replacing the part myself, I'm pretty good at electronics... don't suppose you know what part needs replacing or how I can find out.. I spotted this,  but doesn't tell me more than the error - I need a circuit diagram for this TV..

• Seven blinks - High voltage shutdown. The high voltage has exceeded 33k and the unit goes immediately into safety shutdown. Check power supply regulation and horizontal circuits.
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

@jolebre51 wrote:

but doesn't tell me more than the error - I need a circuit diagram for this TV..

• Seven blinks - High voltage shutdown. The high voltage has exceeded 33k and the unit goes immediately into safety shutdown. Check power supply regulation and horizontal circuits.

Hi,

not sure where you'll you will find a circuit diagram from, you could try asking the authorised repair centre but I doubt they'll share otherwise try searching the net..:smileyconfused:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there Jolebre51

Did you get that 7 blink code meaning off a generic PDF by any chance (Google Search of Sony Blink Code)?  If so, it might be out of date. 

I have the following for the EX500 series:

Blink Code - EX500 Series.jpg

Blink Code - EX500 Series 2.jpg

Blink Code - EX500 Series 3.jpg

Note: I am not a technician or an electronics engineer.  This information is provided as is.  I would strongly recommend contacting an authorised Sony Repair Centre,

Cheers

jolebre51
Explorer

INdeed I did! the very same PDF..

I have had the TV open today - and after some checking I've disconnected the IR sensor.. which is known as the HLR Mount. Part number A-1753-636-A

The TV works perfectly now. Albeit without any remote control functions at all. Just need to replace the board, very easy job, only one cable and a couple of screws. Not ordered the part yet - I've left it disconnected and I'm going to run it for a few days, and if all is well, order the part then, I may respond with an update, but if I don't - this was the fix! Hope this helps others, apparantly the HLR Mount is a common fault on these sets.. Annoying though, it's only 3.5 years old.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the update.  Im glad you have found the fault - or hopefully