New

KDL-55W905A Connection Help

Hi, having trouble getting everything connected up and working. I have:

KDL-55W905A TV

STR-DA3200ES Receiver

BDP-S580 Blu-Ray

VAIO Touchscreen Desktop PC

TalkTalk YouView Box

What would be the best way of connecting all this up, ensuring audio is fed via AV receiver and 3D is sent to TV from Blu-Ray. Have always used AV receiver to connect everything to (for HDMI switching and all audio) but using this method 3D doesn't work (BD player says cannot find 3D display) and no audio from Smart functions on TV

I'm a little confusion over HDMI v1.4 and TOSLINK Digital Audio cables and how best to cable it all together

Please help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Firstly - their is nothing in the specification of the STR-DA3200ES, that says that this has 3D pass-through, therefore connecting the Bluray player to the AV Receiver via HDMI is not the option. 

I would connect it up the following way.

• TV (Optical OUT) > Optical Cable > DA3200ES (TV/SAT IN)
  • BDP-S580 (HDMI OUT) > HDMI > TV (HDMI 3)
  • BDP-S580 (Optical OUT) > Optical Cable > DA3200ES (Optical Video in 1)
  • YouView (HDMI OUT) > HDMI > TV (HDMI 4)
  • Desktop PC * (HDMI OUT) > HDMI > TV (HDMI 2)

* = Unsure on specifications on if it has HDMI or not.

Set the TV to send audio via optical out

Set bluray to send audio via optical out

As you can see, the TV is doing the video switching, but still sending the audio to the AV Receiver.  I would recommend though an upgrade of the AV Receiver, especially if you want to input video through it.  You must bare in mind that the AV Receiver is almost 7 years old (I think) and HDMI / Video technology has progressed to 4K pass-though these days.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Firstly - their is nothing in the specification of the STR-DA3200ES, that says that this has 3D pass-through, therefore connecting the Bluray player to the AV Receiver via HDMI is not the option. 

I would connect it up the following way.

• TV (Optical OUT) > Optical Cable > DA3200ES (TV/SAT IN)
  • BDP-S580 (HDMI OUT) > HDMI > TV (HDMI 3)
  • BDP-S580 (Optical OUT) > Optical Cable > DA3200ES (Optical Video in 1)
  • YouView (HDMI OUT) > HDMI > TV (HDMI 4)
  • Desktop PC * (HDMI OUT) > HDMI > TV (HDMI 2)

* = Unsure on specifications on if it has HDMI or not.

Set the TV to send audio via optical out

Set bluray to send audio via optical out

As you can see, the TV is doing the video switching, but still sending the audio to the AV Receiver.  I would recommend though an upgrade of the AV Receiver, especially if you want to input video through it.  You must bare in mind that the AV Receiver is almost 7 years old (I think) and HDMI / Video technology has progressed to 4K pass-though these days.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

sbondboo
New

Hi, that all worked perfectly, thanks for your help.

Agree....yeah AV receiver getting on a bit now....think that'll be the next upgrade.

Cheers, Steve